The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smooth Bokeh

LoSenior

Jorge,

Great pictures, really like the first one. What setting did you use for the first picture?
Thanks, Jerry

ryc

ISO 200. 1/200 at f 1.8 EV -1. center metering. Exposure taken from bottom left wall. not the sign nor the seat.

S

Shelby Lewis

Man... I miss that lens/camera combo. :(

I'm testing out some medium format stuff next week (which I'm going to use for fashion-oriented stuff), but I still plan on getting back into the sony system in the next year as a good-light, no-action companion to my canon stuff... as well as my main portrait camera. I had a shoot yesterday in, of all things, an operating room... shooting a surgery and got shots at iso 6400 that I couldn't have gotten with just about any other cam (at that resolution)... they're sharp, colors are nice, but in the end there is a lack of sparkle in the shots.

I still don't see any 35mm files around these days that match, IMO, the sony in "fat" light (other than the m8).

Thanks for sharing.

deepdiver

yaaaa, I miss that combo too :(
Now I'm thinking to get A850 + ZA 135/1.8 however, the 9-9-2009 mystery is really bother me... :p
can't afford both things ^^

gsking

Great shots, and very sharp. But I wonder how this would compare against like the 100/2. For example, the second shot and the hard outline of the A-pillar on the car. I'm thinking the 100/2 would soften that line a lot.

It would be a good contrast (no pun intended) of the Minolta "look" vs. the CZ "look".

Greg

edwardkaraa

It would be a good contrast (no pun intended) of the Minolta "look" vs. the CZ "look".

Greg
The 135 has the smoothest bokeh of all ZA lenses and probably of any CZ lens I have ever used. Bokeh wise it is so un-Zeiss :D Luckily it still produces the expected colors and most importantly a very accentuated 3D look (though 3D is not so obvious in Jorge's shots). I am one of those who prefer the "harsher" more defined Zeiss bokeh in comparison to the "buttery smooth" Minolta one.

R

Ranger 9

Speaking of 135s, another fabulous lens from the Minolta era was the 135mm f/2 MD. Unfortunately, this one never made it into the autofocus mount -- probably because moving such a huge chunk of glass would have slowed a Maxxum 9000's AF motor to a crawl (and it wasn't all that blazing fast to begin with.)

Not sure what you'd do with a 135/2 MD in the digital realm if you were to run across one today... maybe put an adapter on it and use it on a Micro Four Thirds camera...? Anyway, it's another YALIWIK (yet another lens I wish I'd kept)...

gsking

Hmm, interesting that the 135 is smooth relative to the other ones. I used it a couple times, but it's rather overkill for the A700.

Yeah, the 135/2 commands quite the premium. You could modify it for A-mount...many people do it with the 58/1.2.