The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FYI: A900 total failure.

fotografz

Sorry to learn of the a900 failure Marc.

But you are right it can happen anywhere to anyone with any electronic cam.

I know that you are/were a Leica DMR fan. My own brand new DMR failed on me after just 56 frames! The dreaded Error message came up and no amount of re-booting, replacing batteries, cleaning DMR and the R9 connectors would make any difference and so back to Solms it went via Leica UK.

Fortunately, Leica UK lent me a DMR back for the duration of the repair (2 months!) so apart from the shots that I lost after the event, I could keep on working with the R9 and loan DMR. (An advantage of digital backs!). The failure didn't cost me anything as it was of course under warranty and Leica funded all transportation costs even collecting the loan unit from me when my own was returned.

So Sony have a lot to learn yet about providing good back up service and I shall be interested on what they find was the cause of your failure and how long they take to get it back to you.
The thread was long so you probably didn't see the solution that a user posted which fixed my camera ... no need for repairs. It was an odd thing that I would never have suspected were it not for someone else's same experience. All's well. Thanks for the thoughts.

dhsimmonds

Yep you are right I didn't read the whole thread. I'm relieved for you and all a900 users that it was such a simple solution, although I would never have thought of that one in a million years! As they say all's well that end's well.

Like all digital cameras, the a900 has it's little quirks but nothing at all serious in my own view. The DMR's quirks were numerous and sometimes more serious but it did produce gorgeous files that were capable (and sometimes needed) of a lot of PP.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
My a900 had total electronic failure it wasn't the lens cap. I sent to Sony on Thursday and had it back on the following Tuesday, great service. No more problems.

Last edited:
Mike, I'm sending mine out to resolve this same issue with the aperture lever. :( Moving it around doesn't help; it has no resistance in one direction, some resistance in the other direction. How did you manage to get such fast service?

I was just on my way out the door to overnight the body to Laredo TX. I'm including a note to bill me for expedited return shipping, as I want it in my hands Thursday the 24th for two shoots, Friday & Saturday. Did you do anything special to get such a fast turnaround? Seems like, allowing for shipping, they must have worked on yours over the weekend?

Last edited:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Hi Dave, I had to go back to the old thread and read what I had said.....I think the priority work number is imperative.

I "live chatted" with a technical person then he called me and we determined that my a900 is in fact fried. He assigned me a work order number and a priority ID and I sent the camera to their service center in Laredo TX. They said they would try to have it back to me before this weekend as long as I paid for the overnight charges.
If they do that, it would be A+ service, four day turn around, even if I get it early next week it would be very good. We'll see...I will keep you posted.

dhsimmonds

That is excellent customer service, you can't ask for much better so I hope that Dave Anderson get's a similar response. Leica could take a leaf out of Sony's customer service book IMHO!

Sony have always said that they are not yet ready to offer their DSLR's as pro cameras but they are so very nearly there and as we know many Alpha cams are being used rigorously by pro shooters.

Thanks for encouraging me to keep pushing, Mike. Everyone I talked with was very friendly, helpful and professional. Support web chat OTOH... well, read on -- two out of three ain't bad. :p

I talked to an expediter in Laredo who will be on the lookout for my camera and expedite the process. He told me there was no "Priority ID" to give me, only the event ID is needed. Maybe this is because I started the whole process with the web form?

Anyway, it pays to be persistent. :) I wonder where they are outsourcing their first-line support to? He tried to be very helpful but is not the sharpest knife in the drawer:

(This after I had told him the model # of the camera) said:
Parker_ > Are you using a fully charged Battery?
Dave Anderson > Yes
Dave Anderson > I first noticed when my f2.8 zoom lens would not autofocus; I looked inside the lens and saw the aperture stopped down
Dave Anderson > Same behavior with 3 different lenses
Parker_ > Are you using external lens with the Camera?
Dave Anderson > Please clarify; "external"?
Parker_ > I meant the lenses other then the built in lens.
Dave Anderson > This is a DSLR; there is no built-in lens.
Parker_ > I'm sorry for the confusion.

Parker_ > May I know the exact error message displayed?
Dave Anderson > Rear LCD displays "Camera Error". Top LCD displays "Err"
Parker_ > Are you able to access the menu of the Camera.
Dave Anderson > Yes, if I cycle power. Actually, the camera has already been sent to your Laredo Service Facilty via overnight. What I want to do here is find out if service can be expedited since I need it for two shoots, one on Sept. 25 and one on Sept. 26. I sent it in under event ID EXXXXXXXX
Parker_ > Please give me a moment while I get this information for you.
Dave Anderson > Thank You.
Dave Anderson > Camera should arrive in Laredo tomorrow.
Parker_ > This may take a while longer. Thanks for waiting
Dave Anderson > OK
Parker_ > Thanks for waiting, Dave.
Dave Anderson > No problem
Parker_ > I've checked with this event ID, the Camera has been repaired . It is ready for dispatching.
Dave Anderson > Please check the number again. I dropped it off for shipping less than an hour ago. You can't possibly have the camera yet.
:banghead:
Parker_ > Okay, Dave.
Parker_ > Please stay online while I check this information for you.
Dave Anderson > OK
Parker_ > Thanks for waiting, Dave.
Parker_ > I've re checked it, I'm sorry for the confusion.
Dave Anderson > No Problem
Dave Anderson > What did you find when you re-checked it?
Parker_ > Once, the Camera reaches the Service Center, it will be serviced in 6 to 7 business working days.
You just can't make this stuff up... :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW, for future reference the second-tier support # is (239)768-7606.

I'll post the Laredo # after all is said and done, on the condition that nobody tells where they got it.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
:D It went a little well better with my online guy.....event #???? maybe thats a new procedure. The phone number is really where you need to go.
They gave me a work order number and a priority number. I gave them a credit card number for overnight shipping. Keep us appraised of the turn around.

The "Event ID" is what you get when you initiate the process via the web form. It was late at night, I really wasn't in the mood to talk to someone in an overseas call center so that's why I went that route.

Hopefully there is no next time... but if there is I will call during regular US business hours.

An update -- My camera is now in the technician's hands, it arrived in their facility yesterday morning. Sony will cover overnight shipping to get it back in my hands by Thursday.

:clap::clap::clap:

I don't want to go into too much detail before it's on the plane back to me, but for those who may be worried about the number of people reporting similar issues, I will offer this bit of sage advice: Do NOT try to change lenses while walking over uneven ground.

dbogdan

Well, after a very nice and extended weekend with family, I finally have the time to thank Marc (Fotografz) for a wonderful afternoon.
In return for a little advice in solving his A900 problem, Marc, treated me to a bit of beer, some tasty sliders, and a lot of great conversation. I couldn't have had a better time!
While we were having coffee on the porch, I had grabbed my 70-400 for Marc to check out when some of the local wildlife paid a visit. He was able to snap a quicky of this little guy before it disappeared into the brush.

Last edited:
Well, after a very nice and extended weekend with family, I finally have the time to thank Marc (Fotografz) for a wonderful afternoon.
In return for a little advice in solving his A900 problem, Marc, treated me to a bit of beer, some tasty sliders, and a lot of great conversation. I couldn't have had a better time!
While we were having coffee on the porch, I had grabbed my 70-400 for Marc to check out when some of the local wildlife paid a visit. He was able to snap a quicky of this little guy before it disappeared into the brush.
It DID disappear into the brush! I pulled the URL out from your post with the quote function and fixed it. Nice image, looks like there was no chance for a second shot!

edwardkaraa

It seems Pbase does not like its subscribers to link their images to other sites. I will cancel my subscription with them.

Well, the camera did not arrive as expected due to a backordered part. I called them today, it's fixed and will ship out tomorrow to arrive Wednesday. None too soon, I've been experiencing withdrawals. :cry:

The camera arrived last Wednesday as promised. All appeared to be well until I noticed one of the display elements inside the VF is not illuminating. :banghead:

It took me a while to notice it, as it's only noticeable when the leftmost shutter speed digit is a 4, 5, 6, or 8, much faster than I had been shooting.

Back to Laredo. :angry:

This could be a huge PITA, I was planning to leave on a trip with it on the 14th.