The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FYI: A900 total failure.

edwardkaraa

Hi Tony, I believe it is exactly for event/people jobs that you need the flexibility of the zoom, and this is exactly when the soft extreme corners won't matter. I am also thinking to retire the zoom for landscape work once the 24 prime is out, but primes cannot replace the zoom when speed is neede unless you plan to carry 2 bodies.

T

Tony Beach

Hi Ed,

My thinking is that fast beats zoom. Also, the last time I took the 24-70 to a dinner, every shot was either 70mm (and required cropping) or 24mm. Of course, for paid work one would assume two cameras.

Eoin

Thanks for that earlier post Marc. My intuitions have been confirmed by your experience. My thinking is that 90% of my event/people needs would be served using the Zeiss 24/2 and 85/1.4 on the A850.
Tony, in a strange way I agree with you. Despite now being lazy with a zoom, when I was shooting Leica it was a 28mm and 90mm covered 90%. On Canon it was 24 & 85. Now with the Sony it's either the 16-35 or 24-70 on one body and either the 85 or 135 on the other.

I tend to think one becomes more deliberate shooting a prime, one needs to work that bit harder to achieve the framing and content in an image. I tend to find prime shooting satisfies my photographic soul more so than any zoom with the results. Yet I've no desire for this 24mm ZA prime given the range is well covered twice in my zooms. But I'm sure once I see the wonderful images these guys here will produce with it, I will weaken :ROTFL:

douglasf13

I'm probably going to sell both my 24-70 and 20mm 2.8 for the ZA24 when it arrives. A 24, 50 and 85 prime will cover just about everything that I'll possibly shoot.

dhsimmonds

I don't think that I could ever give up my ZA 16-35. Sorry Jono:deadhorse:

The difference between 24 and 16 is just too much when you already have your back to a wall!