The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

World's most expensive dog cost $582,000

Ben Rubinstein

Forgive my ignorance but I didn't realise it was possible to be a young millionaire in China or am I hopelessly out of date with the political situation there?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
When one spends much time in China working and living on the economy, you quickly learn things are not always what they seem to be. I suspect that dog maybe as I learned the back door. When there was the Great CocaCola shortage and I could not buy a coke any where, I found a case on my desk where I was teaching. I was told you just had to know, the back door. I suspect the 583K just didn't buy a dog but a back door....

Ben Rubinstein

Would be one heck of a tax write off given that it's supposed to be a guard dog I think the owner could write it off couldn't they? :D

O

Oxide Blu

It ain't the world's most expensive dog. Those bragging rights belong to the offspring of a dog in Japan trained to smell cancer, sold to a pharma company. Last year the pups sold for a cool $1-million each. They are not the only ones, but they had something close to 100% accuracy in cancer detection. Cross your fingers -- this looks like it might be the real deal.

The keen sense of smell of a dog is capable of detecting breast and lung cancers in human beings, according to a new research. ... The cancer can be detected by dogs from the breath of the cancer patients. ...

The results of the study showed that the dogs were able to detect breast and lung cancer with sensitivity and specificity between 88% and 97%. The high accuracy persisted even after results were adjusted to take into account whether the lung cancer patients were currently smokers.

The study also confirmed that the trained dogs could even detect the early stages of lung cancer, as well as early breast cancer.

http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/Dogs-Can-Detect-Cancer-6803-1/