The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Imagery as Emotion

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last weekend. As a way to help them celebrate their big day, I took nearly a thousand slides that they had shot from when they first met in the late '50s until they tired of taking pictures after four kids shifted their interests in the mid to late '60s ... and had them scanned to digital files. I then put the images into a powerpoint that I unveiled on the day of their anniversary.

Many of the slides that I viewed I hadn't seen before as my parents typically boxed up their slides and never had/took the time to review them. It was very rewarding to put some flesh on the skeleton of my memories with images taken of great grandparents, youthful grandparents and barely out-of-adolescence parents. It forever changes how you view your parents and how/where you grew up.

One of the things that struck me most after going through the slides was the emotion that they conveyed (not just because I could relate to them). Rather, I felt a simple connection to the emotion that they elicited. While many of us quibble over the benefits of extra megapixels and absolute resolution, my parents (with little thought on how to create a "perfect image") just shot what pleased them. In the end, the rawest and simplest of the images (unfocused, but alive) grab me the most.

Here are two examples. The first with my father and sister and the second of my great grandfather on his tractor at his farm.

Kurt