The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Amazing video, Stonehenge explained

simonclivehughes

I agree it is very cool, but I was left with a couple of questions that didn't appear to be addressed well:

1. How did he get the horizontal beam on top of the two uprights? Did he raise it using the back-and-forth balance method and then leave it suspended while he used the same technique to raise the end pieces which he then sunk in underneath the still raised horizontal?

2. How did he get the original piece of wood (used for balancing/rocking and subsequently raising) under the huge piece that you see him raise to vertical? It doesn't seem that it would be easy unless you had a very long lever to tilt it.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm!"

Cheers,

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
To answer the second question (Because I'm not sure I entirely understand the first one) it's not hard to raise it up a little bit to being the rocking method. If you need 2 inches, get a 3 to 4 inch tall block, maybe 5-10 inches wide, that's maybe 1-2 feet long, and shape it into a wedge. Then pound the wedge under one end with a big mallet.

Then you can slide in your 2 inch board, and (with a mallet), maneuver it into place.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To answer the first, he raises it HIGHER than the uprights using his see-saw rocking motion, see-saw BETWEEN the uprights, then levers the ends over as he showed moving the big blocks and barn...

Robert Campbell

This might explain how the slabs were raised, but the slabs at Stonehenge, in Wiltshire, came originally from South Wales; how does he explain that?