The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Wire

bensonga

Watching the 5 season on DVD now.....and once again I'm thinking "there, but for the grace of god, go I".

But for the luck of the draw, an accident of birth, my life could have been so very, very different.

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

Exactly the same think I thought when I saw the Startrek series. :D

Fwiw, I'm going into Mad Men withdrawal, getting the shakes, waiting for season 3 to finish broadcasting and come out on video.

bensonga

I just caught the last few episodes of Mad Men....another excellent drama. Look forward to seeing seasons one and two.

There is some very good work on TV if you look hard enough for it....by my estimate its less than 1% of what is shown each day.

Any other recommendations from this discriminating audience?

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

I don't remember the name of the series but when stateside I like to watch a newer series about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with cancer, 2-yrs to live, and broke, so he hooks up with a former goofball student and they start a mobile meth lab. The chem teacher makes the best meth in town, every gang banger wants to sell it. The teacher is trying to make enough money so his wife can live comfortable after he dies. Someone told me it airs after Mad Men, on the same network.

The series is called 'Breaking Bad'.

viablex1

okay here is the deal the wire never ever won any awards that I know of I might be wrong if not why? there is not better acting or writing,

and who doesn't love Omar!!!!

viablex1

I just caught the last few episodes of Mad Men....another excellent drama. Look forward to seeing seasons one and two.

There is some very good work on TV if you look hard enough for it....by my estimate its less than 1% of what is shown each day.

Any other recommendations from this discriminating audience?

Gary
the director of photography on that show rules!!!

jlm

Workshop Member
Rome was great, also Carnival, Band of Brothers and I am looking forward to the new National Parks series. also loved the Wire and Mad Men, Brotherhood, Flight of the Conchords, United States of Tara, Secret diary of a Call Girl and Dexter

bensonga

I haven't seen the Homicide show, but I'll say that while I'm generally not a fan of most of the cops series I've seen on TV, The Wire was truly something different. For my taste, I've yet to find another series in that genera that even comes close.

For a totally different experience.....yup, Rome was another of my favorites. Band of Brothers and Dexter too.

Amazing that in the immense sea of crap out there on American television, there really are some excellent shows as well.

Gary

stephengilbert

I agree about The Wire. What's especially impressive about it is how large the gap is between it, one of the best American TV series ever, and what is currently broadcast on "network TV." Is there two hours of regular prime time television worth watching?

Rawfa

The Wire is one of the best written TV shows I've ever laid my eyes upon. HBO series are MUCH MUCH better than most of the recent feature films released today. It's not just the writing, it's the acting, the directing, the cinematography, everything. The Wire, Big Love, The Sopranos, In Treatment, and so on. Having come from audiovisual I'm blow away by the quality of the shows these guys produce.

jlm

Workshop Member
i couldn't get into Deadwood; watched a few episodes and loved the sort of rarefied conversational style though

O

Oxide Blu

Excuse me, but is no one going to mention Deadwood?
I liked Deadwood, took me a little while to adjust to the language, tho. I think the series vastly improved when Molly Parker's character was expanded.

Btw, Parker made a nifty movie in the mid 90's called 'Kissed'. It's about necrophilia -- from a woman's perspective. It's a pretty good story. She's also in Wayne Wang's movie, 'The Center of the World' along with Peter Sarsgaard.

biglouis

Excuse me, but is no one going to mention Deadwood?
Possibly one of the finest drama series ever made? The most authentic evocation of the wild west?

Mind you, just finishing off the final series of Oz - not necessarily 'entertainment' but incredibly thought provoking.

LouisB