The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another note in a bottle...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Awhile back, I told you all my wifes cancer had returned. This past week the oncologist has taken her off Chemo. The tumor was not shrinking and the chemo was starting to cause more bad than good. She is developed neuropathy in the hands and feet and her red counts have crashed to the point she had to be transfused with two units of blood on Thursday.

We will be doing radiation daily for six weeks. She will be staying at an outpatient house in Abilene next to hospital. I'll be staying with her. When I have the Powerbook, I can do images and the net from there.

We are now, you could say a maintenance mode. We leave tomorrow for a CT scan and the radiation simulation and tattooing of the laser targets. Once the blocks for the treatment are cast it'll start. That could be as soon as next Thursday.

I've never directly met any of you but we have shared such beauty here, thanks.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I've never met you either, but I feel I know you as an old friend. My best to you and your wife John, thoughts and prayers for you both...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
John so sorry to hear this news. We are here for you my friend and best wishes to you and your wife. You need anything from this forum , you just say the word. BTW the beauty here is from folks like you, we want to thank you for being here. God Bless, Guy

cam

john,

my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and yourself. i've never been a particularly religious person, but i almost died five and a half years ago and i have to believe all the people that were praying for me made a difference, even though many were strangers. i am wishing your wife the best....

the first post i read when i got out of my surgery was about your roadkills. as someone who has driven across that neck of the woods, i understand. my brother and i, driving the long way from l.a. to atlanta, had a rule that you were only allowed to count roadkill if more than half a body was visible -- otherwise you might count the same one twice. so even though your pictures were great, the memory made me laugh despite all my pain... i only wish i could return the favour.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Your world sounds like a difficult and uncomfortable place. Peace and strength to you both.

johnastovall

Your world sounds like a difficult and uncomfortable place. Peace and strength to you both.
It may sound like the narrow passage with no brother and no friend but many friends have widened it up.

Last edited:

johnastovall

john,

my thoughts and prayers are with your wife and yourself. i've never been a particularly religious person, but i almost died five and a half years ago and i have to believe all the people that were praying for me made a difference, even though many were strangers. i am wishing your wife the best....

the first post i read when i got out of my surgery was about your roadkills. as someone who has driven across that neck of the woods, i understand. my brother and i, driving the long way from l.a. to atlanta, had a rule that you were only allowed to count roadkill if more than half a body was visible -- otherwise you might count the same one twice. so even though your pictures were great, the memory made me laugh despite all my pain... i only wish i could return the favour.
Cam,

You just returned that favor and I'm laughing with you.

LJL

John,
Even though we have never met, your warmth, sincerity and friendship exude from your comments and thoughts. You and especially your wife are in the thoughts and prayers of many folks, even those reading these threads, but not posting sentiments. Know that your universe of support is large and there to help.

LJ