The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rockwell blasts Reichmann Phase workshop

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And looking at was offered for 5k, it looks like the participants got fair value for their money...
I agree. They got rooms at the Furnace Creek Lodge which is essentially a Luxury resort inside DV and not inexpensive. I think they got some meals in addition. Also they each got a P65+ on a new Phase body to use for the duration.

D

ddk

I agree. They got rooms at the Furnace Creek Lodge which is essentially a Luxury resort inside DV and not inexpensive. I think they got some meals in addition. Also they each got a P65+ on a new Phase body to use for the duration.
Not to mention the discounts and financing deals that they were most likely offered.

LJL

hmmm....as usual, sometimes hard to tell the real target of KR rants......

Was he going after PODAS (Phase One Digital Artist Series) to get it renamed to something like

Professionally Organized Direct Access Shilling ?, or,

Pitifully Over-monied Dumb A** Shooters ?

In ether event, he remains his own self-generated lightning rod blogger.

Back to your regular programming..... ;-)

LJ

O

Oxide Blu

I agree. They got rooms at the Furnace Creek Lodge which is essentially a Luxury resort inside DV and not inexpensive.

This caught my attention, too, more than anything else -- the word "luxury" in the promo for workshop.

Not to waste my own time, I presume anything "luxury" is going to be expensive. I do not presume anything expensive is going to be luxury.

Furnace Creek Resort markets itself as a "4-diamond luxury resort". A "Four Diamond" rating is something that would come from AAA -- they award four or five diamond ratings on luxury resorts. It's a prestigious thing. Any resort with such an award is likely going to market it.

Furnace Creek Resort only mentions itself as a "4-diamond resort" and nothing about where that rating comes from. If it came from AAA, it would be a "Four Diamond Award®" resort, you'd likely see this on their website -- but I didn't see it on Furnace Creek Resort website:

I tried searching AAA's website for Furnace Creek Resort -- didn't find it. Doesn't mean it's not there -- just means I didn't find it there.

Perhaps the fine folks at Furnace Creek Resort gave themselves the "4-diamond" rating to create impression of luxury? :confused:

Furnace Creek Resort looks like a nice place to stay but I'm not sure about the "4-diamond" thing -- and I don't get a sense of "luxury" from their website. Fwiw, so far, no call back to the msg I left with the company's corp marketing dept inquiring into the confusing "4 diamond" rating Furnace Creek Resort claims.

Dale Allyn

This thread is sort of going off in different directions, but diamonds or no, to stay at Furnace Creek during December in a "Deluxe King" room is $345/night plus taxes. Rooms inside of national parks and monuments are not cheap. Of course this doesn't consider group discounts, etc. Add in the use of the P65+, airport transfer, entertainment, a profit for the organizers, etc. and it seems there are costs adding up to "fair value".

Frankly, I think KR ranks somewhere below Howard Stern in the chain of organisms, and I won't buy a car with Sirius radio included because I won't support a company that would pay HS $100 Mil. :) ((Okay, KR is probably not below HS on the chain, but you get the idea. ;) ))

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Too funny Dale.

Being a workshop owner they pretty much are run two ways the all inclusive besides getting there transportation and than the fee plus all your own expenses. I guess something to be said for both. Jack and i are flat fee plus your expenses as we always thought it made more sense to folks to go that route. We don't stay at luxury hotels but we do eat out at nice restaurant but middle of the road hotels that are clean and have internet. We like to keep folks costs down as much as possible. BUT we could easily do all inclusive and talk about it all the time. It really depends on what people want. We feel it is more about the photography and the learning experience plus getting around to enough locations at the correct timings to pull out winning images for people. You've seen the images and they tell the real story how well ours do.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Oxide Blu

This thread is sort of going off in different directions, but diamonds or no, to stay at Furnace Creek during December in a "Deluxe King" room is $345/night plus taxes. Rooms inside of national parks and monuments are not cheap.

Yeah, and a whole friggin' cabin inside that same "luxury resort" during December is only $124-139 per night -- not exactly "expensive". :rolleyes: I didn't read anything about the accommodations provided, only the location.

About the two guys pissing on each other over a photography seminar; they need to get out and take more pictures, spend less time pissing.

If I ever spend $5000.00 to stay at a supposed luxury resort, and then spend my time in a photo seminar -- please, someone shoot me in the head, I've gone stupid. :shocked:

O

Oxide Blu

Too funny Dale.

Being a workshop owner ...

I had hoped to get into your May workshop scheduled for wine country. I was in the SF bay area, actually delayed my return home at that time, but that workshop didn't seem to come together. :(

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Darn we will get you on one . Let us know when your back in the states. I know Peter wants to come again for sure from Australia. Hell I would love to go there instead. LOL

Thinking Ghost and Mining Towns here in the Southwest at the moment . I have some pretty good spots already in mind. Still thinking about WHERE but 2nd week in January looks good.

O

Oxide Blu

Furnace Creek Resort markets itself as a "4-diamond luxury resort".

Follow-up ... the fine folks running the Furnace Creek Resort have gotten back to me. A few phone calls later and I now understand the HOTEL is AAA rated for 4 diamonds, not the whole resort, not the restaurants. The hotel has had its 4-diamond rating for about 30-years. Furnace Creek Resort hotel should be a nice place to stay with above average amenities.

Fwiw, the diff between a AAA 4-diamond hotel and a 5-diamond hotel is, well, luxury. From AAA's website:

Four Diamond
These establishments are upscale in all areas. Accommodations are progressively more refined and stylish. The physical attributes reflect an obvious enhanced level of quality throughout. The fundamental hallmarks at this level include an extensive array of amenities combined with a high degree of hospitality, service, and attention to detail.

Five Diamond
These establishments reflect the characteristics of the ultimate in luxury and sophistication. Accommodations are first class. The physical attributes are extraordinary in every manner. The fundamental hallmarks at this level are to meticulously serve and exceed all guest expectations while maintaining an impeccable standard of excellence. Many personalized services and amenities enhance an unmatched level of comfort.

O

Oxide Blu

Darn we will get you on one . Let us know when your back in the states. I know Peter wants to come again for sure from Australia. Hell I would love to go there instead. LOL

Thinking Ghost and Mining Towns here in the Southwest at the moment . I have some pretty good spots already in mind. Still thinking about WHERE but 2nd week in January looks good.

Just so you realize there area conditions -- I am only willing to stay in a AAA 5-diamond camping tent, or better. :D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
What I want from a workshop is:
1 Location Location Location
2 ample time to shoot dawn and sunset, ok between is also appreciated
3 a bunch of personable photographers to chew the fat with and talk photo stuff.
4 some decent places to eat (no luxury is required, just good food)
5 a time to share what we did.
6 clean sheets and a hot shower, some heat or ac according to the season
7 internet some how even if wan
8 KR a comfortable distance away.

Weather is up to the gods, and not really under the control of the organizers.
But, you can pick your workshop dates to better the chances.
-bob

Rick Waldroup

Rockwell is always an interesting read, and is best taken with a grain of salt. His wry sense of humor is definately not for everyone.:D

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

Why was my post edited? If it offended anyone, you have my apology. But to edit my post is absurd. As far as I can tell, no one else's posts were altered. Why? Hell, I had rather you just delete the damn thing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why was my post edited? If it offended anyone, you have my apology. But to edit my post is absurd. As far as I can tell, no one else's posts were altered. Why? Hell, I had rather you just delete the damn thing.
From my admin panel on your post #34 I see this edit remark: "Last edited by Rick Waldroup; Today at 15:36."