The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So what are you cooking for Christmas

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I do not cook very much or should I say my wife is a excellent cook so why bother BUT i am a pretty mean cook when I do. Growing up in NJ in a Italian family you sit and watch what your Mom and your Aunts do in the kitchen. This is how I learned and also my very first REAL girlfriend her mom taught me quite a bit also. My favorite dish to make is Eggplant Parmesan it is a really a all day process and i am doing it right now for tomorrow along with a special caesar salad dressing. So what's on your plates?

Terry

Well,
I will be on an airplane all day and land in time for an early dinner that my family is cooking :D. Great planning !!! :ROTFL:

Terry

Mostly bad in the "flyover" states. We are OK in the west and the east is OK. Just need the planes to be able to get into position.

Moderation error - posted my reply as an edit to your post. I hate when that "happens"! :ROTFL:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm convinced that Italians do the best Christmas feast. Back in my early days, I dated an Italian woman whose family allowed me a sort of honorary Italian status, at least on Christmas. The food was endless and we started early. Every major food group and almost every category of stuff that swam, walked, or crawled was prepared and consumed in a day-long eating marathon. Her four brothers tolerated me as the token "wasp" and smiled as they subtly encouraged me to think of the event as if it were a competitive sport. I accepted the challenge and surprised them (and myself) with my ability to hang in there until the last cannoli. Nothing has ever come close to that extravagance.

Tomorrow, we're showing our support for Maine's fishing industry by serving Lobster. The color seems to fit right in and I love to get messy when I eat, so it's perfect for us.

Merry Christmas!
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I ended up with kitchen detail this year too -- I usually do on Christmas and Thanksgiving. This year the Prime Rib roasts did not look all that great, too much center fat, so I opted for an 8-pound tenderloin to roast in its place. Sides will be sauteed mix of mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes and a caesar salad, but not sure which vegetable yet -- probably green beans or broccoli.

durrIII

I have Quail every Christmas. I cannot remember a Christmas without it.
Quail smothered with sherry gravy
Cheese grits
Tomato aspic
Green bean dish
Spiced peaches
Homemade yeast rolls
and several deserts!

Merry Christmas to All

Diane B

Ah, Guy, I remember my first Italian holiday meal. I'm obviously not--but I grew up and went to college in Pittsburgh (PA) area so I 'know' Italian (and lots of other great ethnic foods and customs). I won't ever forget the meal--that went on--and on--and we all (those of us not used to this) just loved it---but couldn't walk--or drive LOL (beverages supplied also).

Jack--tenderloin--that's what we're doing --only butterflied and then rolled, stuffed with apples, etc.(joint project--I end up tieing it after we both have our hands in the making of the stuffing and then David rolling it). Broccoli for us, herbed couscous, glazed carrots, cream of squash soup for first course. Ours changes with the year--we gave up 'traditional' (ala turkey or ham, etc.) quite a number of years ago.

May I say--lobster doesn't sound bad either. Hey--missed this---cheese grits. My husband would be at your table in a heart beat.

Happy holidays everyone.

Diane

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lobster sounds divine even for lunch right now. LOL

Update peeled/ cut up 7 eggplants , than flour , egg batter , bread crumbs. Nancy started frying it all up , need to go back in a relieve the dear girl. LOL

back breaking work

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack--tenderloin--that's what we're doing --only butterflied and then rolled, stuffed with apples, etc.(joint project--I end up tieing it after we both have our hands in the making of the stuffing and then David rolling it).
Your stuffing sounds great! I have stuffed my t-loins before -- the family favorite was a creamy mushroom-onion-spinach blend, but this year I'm going basic roast style with bearnaise sauce topping.

bensonga

A Christmas ham (spiral cut), scalloped potatoes, the traditional green bean/french onion dish (gotta have it) and the most delicious brussels sprouts the world has ever seen. It's a Cooks Illustrated recipe that is amazing.....yum! Yes, that's right, brussels sprouts. :thumbs:

Gary

kweide

We will have duck somewher in between.....and some italian specialities my wife is preparing.....typical sicilian christmas food....it will last endless to eat up...and some bottles of finest sicilian wine... i think we will have the red wine, that stuff from Marsalla, Tripudium and Nero d Ávola..... why wait ´till tomorrow... cherio Miss Sophie.....

Don Libby

Chicken Kiev, corn on the cob, steamed rice, a vegetable to be announced, maybe a dinner roll or two, followed by home made brownies with ice cream, whip cream and hot fudge.

Happy Holidays!

Don

beamon

I grew up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood and like Tim, I was often the token WASP at many meals. I was blessed with wide ranging tastes and would eat everything that was put in front of me. I think my friends enjoyed watching this waspy kid who would eat all the squid, anchovies etc. that were served up. My wife, though German, can hold her own in an Italian kitchen with the best of them.

Following is the rather global menu for this evening's dinner with 4 friends attending. (Guests here expect to go home with a printed menu) We must order veal shanks ahead. Plenty of lamb shanks availabe, but Ozzo Buco demands veal! (Yeah I know, a fine old Barolo would have been better, but the cupboard was lacking.)

Lars

Over here Christmas dinners start early december, corporate events with buffets - I went to five of those this year. Herring in a dozen variations, salmon smoked poached or gravlax, traditional Christmas ham, deer steak, wild boar steak, moose steak, smoked bear sausage, smoked horse meat. Sausages, meatballs, potato dishes. Lutefisk (fish filets prepared in nasty chemicals). Lots of cheeses, of course, including Västerbotten, Whisky-cheddar, as well as Danish and French cheeses. Beer, Akvavit.

durrIII

Lars, Sounds yummy! My daughter is named Sigrid. My great grandfather came over from Sweden. Andresson, I think was his name. Anyway thanks and have a great Christmas.
Durr

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Filet Mignon stuffed with local handmade Blue Cheese and home grown rosemary, new potatoes baked with onion and lemon slices and steamed choufleur served with a sauce made with an other local hand made cheese, Texas Sharpshooter.

For desert, assorted chocolate truffles from Wiseman Chocolate in Hico, Texas.

Wine is a Texas wine from Barking Rocks winery. Their 2005 Cabernet Savignon.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Lars

Filet Mignon stuffed with local handmade Blue Cheese and home grown rosemary, new potatoes baked with onion and lemon slices and steamed choufleur served with a sauce made with an other local hand made cheese, Texas Sharpshooter.

For desert, assorted chocolate truffles from Wiseman Chocolate in Hico, Texas.

Wine is a Texas wine from Barking Rocks winery. Their 2005 Cabernet Savignon.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
John, I cannot say that Texas is especially known over here for its fine dining; your post makes me wonder what we're missing. :thumbup:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
John, I cannot say that Texas is especially known over here for its fine dining; your post makes me wonder what we're missing. :thumbup:
Lars,

Something we try not to over publicize!

Our immigration history is replete with European and Hispanic roots with a new wave of Asian immigrants all bringing their best to the area. Best foods, wines and music.

The only thing we support in moderation is taxes.:ROTFL:

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dinner in Colleyville Texas:

Tonight ---> Smoked Salmon, Artichoke Dip with Vegetables, White Cheddar, Baguette and Blanc de Noir Champagne.

Breakfast ---> Sweet Cinnamon Rolls Mimosas and Black Coffee

Dinner ---> Beef Tenderloin with Root Vegetables, Orange Glazed Carrots, Roasted Potatoes and Mixed Green Salad. Cabernet / Chardonnay as desired with Apple Cranberry Pie / Whipped Cream - Single Malt Topping for dessert. Single Malt to finish.

My wife does not let me cook this meal...it is too important. I get the grilling holidays.:thumbs:

Bob