The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any of you smoke a pipe when working?

Ben Rubinstein

Perhaps not particularly PC in this day and age but anyway, if I'm causing trouble with this post then mods please delete!

I smoke when I work. I'm often travelling a lot, living on little sleep and food and too much adrenalin. I've never been addicted in my life, when home I won't touch a cigarette for months at a time, if you don't believe me ask my wife. :D

I've been thinking of taking up a pipe instead. I've already got the prerequisite facial hair :)ROTFL:) and fancy the change.

I know which pipe I want to start with after a lot of research (Peterson Dublin Filter) but have zero idea what tobacco would be best suited to relaxing before a job, after a job and while waiting next to a loaded tripod for the perfect moment. The idea of aromatics does not appeal to this European :D.

I have little doubt that some of you gents appreciate a fine cigar, you kinda look like the type, I know you appreciate good food! :ROTFL:

Anyone got any thoughts?

Robert Campbell

Peterson of Dublin make the best pipes; and I like their Sherlock Holmes tobacco to go with them.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I smoked a pipe for almost 15 years. I still miss it sometimes, but it can be a little fussy. You need a decent pouch and a tool for scraping the bowl (using car keys can work but makes a mess) plus a pipe cleaner or two.

Taste in tobacco varies widely. I suggest you visit a well-established tobacconist's shop in a city near you. Usually they'll describe the differences in cut and taste and even allow you to sample a few different blends. Stay away from scented or flavored varieties since the smell for those around you can be very strong (IMHO). If you happen to find yourself anywhere near New Haven, CT, I highly recommend the Owl Shop where they will welcome you like a long lost son.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
What a thread! :toocool:

I would suggest to do some more research in the pipe of your choice. I know Peterson in Dublin of course. The one you chose is a rather low end version, and does not do justice to the name Peterson, really not.

Judging by the shape you chose, I would recommend a look at the Spigot Walnut 15, a much higher quality and trust me, it does make a difference in smoke.

I smoked a couple of different brands, depending on the occasion, day or night etc., my on the go "working-version" was navy flake, but I always had some Peterson Limited Edition special reserve as well, highly recommended!

And do get more than one pipe by all means. Another thing I used to do once in a while was to smear some honey ( not the liquid one!) inside, after cleaning thoroughly of course and gently burning it in with a few matches, but you have to be careful, just use a very thin coat, and with 2-3 matches the job is done. Do not keep the flame in one spot but move it around. Leave pipe alone for 24 hours before smoking again. This keeps the wood in shape.

Oh and last not least, do NOT use car keys other than in war times on the front, and even there, a proper scraper belongs in your daypack. You don't clean your crystal glass with sandpaper either, don't you. :rolleyes:

Enjoy! :salute:

Last edited:

ajoyroy

I have been smoking pipe on-and-off for thirty years. My experience is
. Have more than one pipe; preferably brier/mecham; as a pipe requires time to recover after a smoke
. Clean the pipe regularly otherwise the char will keep accumulating reducing the bowl capacity
. Start with a mild tobacco and progress towards harsher stuff. Pipe lets in a lot of smoke so a harsh tobacco will leave you gasping initially.

Finally as filling, lighting and stroking a pipe takes quite some time, you will have less time to twiddle your thumbs between shots!

The long strip is mutitool
The tool has three prongs
- Spade to scrape the bowl
- Pointed one to clean the stem
- Last one to tamp down hot tobacco

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Georg, I'm looking for a 'first' pipe, I have my eye on a georgous Dunhill (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160386813863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)for when I'm more advanced but it's slightly more expensive than I want when I've never smoked a pipe before in my life!

The one I'm looking at is the Peterson Dublin 03 shape (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250474255004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT), it is a Peterson system pipe with the option of a filter, gives me the best of both worlds for trying out the thing while being quite small, again I think suitable for a beginner. The expensive and more quality pipes can come later methinks.

I went to the local pipe tobacconist today (only one in Jerusalem actually run by a really friendly French guy). He had £25 cheap starter pipes however to be honest they looked like the £8 Hong Kong ebay ones and were obviously sheer junk eventhough I've never played with one before. I'm not going to pay for something, even for a trial, that I wouldn't think of as more than a cheap and nasty toy. His better pipes were very expensive as are most things in this country. He had a good range of tobacco (cheaper than the UK) though and some really nice wines! :D

I had a sniff at several samplers though I didn't yet have a pipe to try them in, absolutely loved the smell of the Latakia which rather suprised the guy! :ROTFL:

I'm back in the UK in two weeks for a while so I've got time to make up my mind.

Keep the thoughts coming though!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Just my opinion here, but I wouldn't waste time with a filter. And again, personal preference showing but straight stems were always the most comfortable for me. I found the curved stems to be awkward to clench in the teeth for those times when you need both hands for something and don't wish to set the pipe down for whatever reason. Also, pipes take a little time to break in and get seasoned. Be patient.

donbga

Anyone got any thoughts?
You may wish to consider some estate pipes. Google for the phrase and search on ebay. You definitely need to rotate pipes and estate pipes are a good way to build a quality selection at a much lower cost. Of course you need to purchase from a seller that knows how to properly clean the pipe.

Back when I smoked a pipe I would use 2 per day and I had about 20 pipes. All briar wood. I also would occasionally smoke a corn cob pipe.

Pipe maintenance and break in are important. I personally avoided all of the aromatics or flavored tobaccos but I suppose some pipe smokers like those. I tended to prefer a mixture of virginia and turkish with a smaller amounts of latikia added but there are a lot of good blends to try.

If you can locate a tobacconist locally so you can walk in and sample pipe fulls of various blends. Do repay your local shop by supporting them if possible.

I much preferred to smoke a pipe when relaxing rather than when my hands were busy.

Ben Rubinstein

Keep in mind folks that here in Jerusalem there is a single and very expensive pipe shop and although I'm in the UK a lot I have little time to browse. As such I'm kinda married to the internet. I blanch at the idea of buying an estate pipe online as my first pipe.

Anyway, call me a sucker, but when I saw this georgeous pipe http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peterson-Pipe...les_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE?hash=item255643215b I had to give in, I love beautiful things, I even have a dedicated silver cabinet at home, my dream wish has always be to own a jewellery store :D, who knows, one day perhaps? In any case perhaps it will be worth something to my grandkids on whatever passes for ebay in that day. I've never really been one to buy cheap or mediocre and Georg's comment above reminded me of that. My philosophy on camera gear and something that I've been banging into the head of my assistant constantly recently is: Buy the best first time because you'll end up with it anyway and this way is cheaper and far less fustrating.

Bought a selection of tobacco's to give me a try and in two weeks when I get back to the UK I should have some nice treats to try out (nevermind a lovely pair of boots waiting for me there).

Now to buy my wife a birthday present :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BTW the idea is more having a pipe with a camera set up on a tripod for a couple of hours waiting for moments to happen or the light to be right (I have a radio shutter release which is perfect for this kind of thing), or in my case, usually both with the addition of waiting for the blinking leaves to stop swaying as I'm at a 1/20th iso 1600 already! :D I couldn't do real work with anything in my mouth and never do. At present I smoke outside before I enter the brides house, if there is a break mid wedding and of course afterwards when I need to relax as my assistant does all the dogsbody work of clearing the equipment and loading the car.

clay stewart

The first thing to do before you buy a pipe, is check and make sure you can get a pipe cleaner to go all the way from stem to bowl without any obstruction, otherwise the constant taking the stem off the bowl, to get a pipe cleaner through, will eventually make it a loose fit, causing an air leak. I've had some of the heavy, fancy pipes, but I really prefer Bent Bobs, as they are small, light and easy on the teeth, if you leave them hanging in your mouth.

Also, I prefer the rough textured pipes, as the smooth ones seem to get hot to the touch faster. As far as tobacco goes, it takes trying different ones to find what you like. I like a little Latakia now and then, but usually just smoke Burly Light, a basic Virginia tobacco that is good by itself or works well as a base for mixing your own blends.

Ben Rubinstein

The world of pipe tobacco sure is complicated. I only smoke one kind of cigarette when I do smoke, Parliment Lights, been that way since I discovered them about 12 years back. With pipes however people seem to have several different blends that they alternate depending on mood, location, time of day, time of the year, etc.

donbga

The first thing to do before you buy a pipe, is check and make sure you can get a pipe cleaner to go all the way from stem to bowl without any obstruction, otherwise the constant taking the stem off the bowl, to get a pipe cleaner through, will eventually make it a loose fit, causing an air leak. I've had some of the heavy, fancy pipes, but I really prefer Bent Bobs, as they are small, light and easy on the teeth, if you leave them hanging in your mouth.

Also, I prefer the rough textured pipes, as the smooth ones seem to get hot to the touch faster. As far as tobacco goes, it takes trying different ones to find what you like. I like a little Latakia now and then, but usually just smoke Burly Light, a basic Virginia tobacco that is good by itself or works well as a base for mixing your own blends.
Clay makes some excellent points especially about the pipe cleaner.

Pipes that are easy on the teeth are a definite plus. I enjoyed carrying shorter pipes with smaller bowls. And having a textured bowl is a plus.

A Virginia blend can make a nice stater mix. I don't know if the brand "Flying Dutchman" is still available but it used to be very common here in the states but those were the days when quality tobacco was more widely available. It was a pleasant, inexpensive, and very available blend. Never blended my own though.

Don't feel pregnant about buying estate pipes they aren't cheap choices but represent great values for excellent pipes.

The Peterson you linked to looks very nice and reasonably priced.

My pipe collection was stolen and I never restarted. I was single then and could relax at home with a good pipe anytime I needed. Some women liked the pipe and some hated them. :)

I've not smoked for decades now but have fond memories of pipe smoking.

Good luck,

Don Bryant