The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera dropped in the ocean is returned by fisherman 18 months later

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"Barbara and Dennis Gregory, 65, from Johannesburg, South Africa, thought they would never see the Nikon P90 again after it fell into the ocean en-route from New York to Southampton in 2008. But 16 months later Benito Estevez, a fisherman from Spain, found the camera in his nets with the photos still intact on the memory card. "

Full story

Tim Ernst

I found a camera once that had washed up onto a gravel bar in the Buffalo National River in Arkansas. The camera was smashed and rusted, but the images on the memory card were fine. The photos on the card spanned a six-month period and showed backpacking, camping, and the last three were of a canoe trip about a year previous - oops, then the camera (and probably the canoe too) got dumped. The data on memory cards don't seem to get "washed" away easily!

Dale Allyn

I once ran a CF card through the wash (clothes washer, warm water, detergent, etc.). I like my images clean! :D All was fine with the card after that, images in tact, etc., and the card never malfunctioned after. One of the advantages of solid-state.