The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Restored 'Metropolis' Comes Home

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"After 83 years, Fritz Lang's Sci-Fi classic "Metropolis" has returned to Berlin in its full glory. On Friday night 2,000 fans braved the snowy weather to watch the restored classic at the Brandenburg Gate. It took restorers a year to repair the damage to the newly discovered scenes. They say the original film was much more complex and interesting than just a sci-fi cult classic..."

More

tom in mpls

The version I have seen was mesmerizing; I can't wait to see the restoration. The score that was added to the version I saw was a disappointment. It is so exciting that they are using the original score.

D

duckrider

Hello ,
have a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)

Fritz Lang must have been a real crazy guy, absolutely certain about the thing he did!
Normal prodction budget at that time in germany was about 50.000 Reichsmark, his film was planned for 2million Reichsmark, finally it did cost approx. 5 Million RM.

UFA filmstudios nearly went bankrupt!

The film never became sucessesful in any filmtheatre in the world;)

I'm German, and there are not many things we can be proud about from that time, "metropolis" might be one of these rarew occasions....

Take a look at the film!
Thomas

late night addidion:
Today is 65th reminding day of Dresden bombing.
There were approx 1000 Nazis today for demonstration....
But much more than 2000 citicens did demonstrate against these Nazis, Police was not able to support that "allowed" Nazi demonstration.
(meanwhile we have democratic System in Germany, anddDemonstrations,
although by Nazis have to be allowed;))
Theses Nazis hat no chance to demonstrate!

Shall I be allowed to be proud a little bid to be German again????
I think so!

Last edited: