The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Last Post Changes - Good/Bad?

simonclivehughes

I don't know about others, but the recent change to the New Posts in which the actual times of the posts have been replaced by "x minutes ago", is not to my liking.

I much prefer being able to see the times of the posts, then when I hit the New Posts button, I can easily scan to where I "left off" time wise. With "x minutes ago", it's all relative and nowhere near as easy to see what you might have already seen Vs what's new.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I changed the settings because the server clock is not consistent across time zones and folks were complaining about that. This also affected cookies, and sometimes the server thought you'd last visited one minute ago and so all new posts were assumed to have been viewed when they weren't. By changing it to this format, which somewhat ironically the software refers to as "accurate" time, those issues go away.

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks Jack, that annoyed the heck out of me when I would click on a post and it would take me to the last post eventhough I'd never opened it before in my life. Often it would take me to entirely the wrong place.

stephengilbert

Jack,

I prefer the new format as well. You get the relevant information in a simple format.

And I don't have to see those posts from Guy with 4:30 as the time. :angel:

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i screw everyones clock up i am up so early. The killer is i am 3 hours earlier than NY.

tom in mpls

Hey, not quite the same subject, but kinda. It's about another site behavior. I see that my username is always listed first when I look at the list of who is online. Just out of compulsive curiosity, is that true for everyone? (I'm assuming it is, but...)

Also, how does the "online" icon work in regard to other members? Is one noted to be "online" only when one's active browser window is at getdpi? Or is one "online" any time one is using a browser? I hope not, sounds very big brother, but then again there is much about the internet that is like that.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Tom, I think we all have the privilege of being mentioned first in the list of who is online, when we watch the list on the same computer we used for our log in. At least that goes for me as well.

With regards to the "online" icon my guess would be that it simply shows whether you are logged on or not, regardless of your remainder activity status. But I don't know this for sure.

If you have two computers at the same location, you can check both topics by being logged on with the one computer and watch your own status from the other one this time being just a guest. I'll try this later today.

As for the new settings I regard it is a nice improvement that the time zone synchronization problems are hereby solved.

Guy Mancuso

When you see your name with the green icon lit up and your name means you where here at least 15 or 20 minutes ago. You can wonder off and do whatever but the timer is set for 15 or 20 minutes since the last time you where here. All V bulletin forums have this in the settings. No one knows where the heck you are though on the forum. There is NO tracking of any sort going on. I'm pretty much on all day even though I maybe somewhere else for awhile. Same with most sites act like this also.

BTW I like the new change. Tell you why it tells me if I seen that post in a time period as I am browsing. So when I go to the Leica forum for instance I can see for myself when a last post is made in what time frame. I miss much less of folks posts. Also for B&S it is very nice to know when someone posted something new for sale .But the big thing it throws out all times zones which are very problematic. It's a win win

Guy Mancuso

That maybe true , as admin I have totally different controls than the members. But I don't think it actually leaves a time you where there. Honestly it's not like your hiding on a shameless part of the forum. It's all great

Frankly you should be looking everywhere on the forum. It's a great place to learn all kinds of great info and see great images from all the folks and different gear. Being diverse in viewing is learning.

ReeRay

Not surprised at the growing numbers.

Friendliest and most informative forum on the 'net.

Feels like one big family.

I've learnt more here in my 18 months membership than the other 62 years put together.

Guy Mancuso

Now that maybe one of the nicest comments made here thanks for that. Jack did you see this, send him his check now. LOL

Kidding , that was very nice to read for sure.