The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real camera

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
First one was an Adox Golf 1A some time during the late sixties. I dropped it into the sea during a scout camp. Next one was the OM-1 with 50mm f/1.8 in 1974. I still have it, but haven't used it much after I bought an OM-3 a few years ago.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What a thread....

My first real camera was a Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL. I was traveling to
South America as an exchange student and wanted to take some real pictures.
I could not afford much so I bought a Watson bulk film loader cassettes and two reels of film....ektachrome and plus x.

Great idea but not the best in actuality...I arrived in Rio and decided to load some film. I crawled into a wardrobe in my hotelroom at night in order to fill the Watson bulk loader. Started to put the film in when I heard the loudest crack possible as the bottom of the wardrobe seperated from the rest of the unit...so I was standing on the floor looking at all of the light. The bottom had seperated cleanly and was easily reinserted into the wardrobe.

It took me almost two weeks to realize that I had put the film into the loader backwards. Spooling off film reverse side out.

That was my last attempt at bulk film loading...

Great camera to start with however and I did capture a number of good
pictures...as I say the best way to a great picture is to be in a very picturesque place.

Bob

D

dlew308

I learned photography as a kid using my dad's Yashica. I mostly took pix of my bro playing little league. My first real camera was a Minolta Maxxum 7000i which I used for the 2 years I was in the Yearbook class in high school. I still have it :)

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Hate to say me too, for the 500DTL Mamiya Sekor. It was all my folks could afford almost 40 yrs ago. Later in college, the camera I really wanted at the time, a few years before, a Nikkormat FTN. It was only about $30 more originally but it was great having it finally. Then began the march up the line, Photomic F2, F3, Leica M6, Hassy...etc... if my folks every new what they had started they would never have begun.....haha. HE breathes, a monster...MMMMWWWAAAHHHH....HAHAHA..