The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

interesting article about artists and art market

LJL

Do not know if that is a "Hmmmm..." of skepticism, or what, Ben, but if it is, I tend to agree. Three pages of his own ramble, and he still never got to the point of how one earns enough to live if their passion for art has no returns. It is an interesting coffee house topic, or maybe over drinks late some evening, but it still struck me more as just another voice hoping to eventually get some sales of his own images through philosophy beating.

LJ

Jeremy

struck me more as just another voice hoping to eventually get some sales of his own images through philosophy beating.

LJ
Agreed. He never directly addresses any of the issues he brings up.

I find Hoffer’s words resonating within me as
descriptive of the current state of fine art and
how we arrived here.
I will leave it to the readers to discover their own
interpretation and path towards understanding
Hoffer’s quote in the application to fine art
It seems like the author wants to make grand statements to draw attention then adds caveats, which dilute his stance to one that's rather meaningless. If Hoffer's words resonate as being descriptive of the current state of art then explain so! And so-on and so-on for the rest of the piece. For the most part, it reads like a polemic about social injustice in the arts where the author would rather espouse how he feels than what he thinks.

Last edited: