The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bang bang

cam

my elbow/arm three surgeries after breaking it completely in three places and shattering various other bits. before this last surgery, i looked like the bionic woman inside with two large plates, several screws and wires. now it looks like this.

i'll leave it to you to count where the screws were.

i had asked the surgeon to save them for me and he swears he gave them to me after. unfortunately, i had woken up in the middle of surgery and said that it hurt. after telling me that it wasn't possible, that my arm was and had been split wide open, they put me under general. i don't do well under general and just wanted to get the f*** out. somewhere in the transfer, the bag got lost.

a cursory glance, and i counted ten. one was removed in a previous surgery because it was starting to poke through the skin (so much for self-locking screws :bugeyes: ). and two cannot be seen in this view.

do i hear it for lucky thirteen?

anyways, this is to show why i can't find my horizon, accept less than perfectly in focus, shots, bear right when shooting from the hip (still!), and am grateful as hell that i can do it at all. (money spent on three surgeries and rehab three times a week to get my arm up to snuff is why i can't afford an M8.)

Robert Campbell

(so much for self-locking screws :bugeyes: )
It looks to be a very good x-ray result; I hope the rehab goes well - I know the feeling!

BTW, the screws aren't self-locking - they may be self-tapping, though this is unusual nowadays.

W

wbrandsma

Holly cow! Your arm looks like an Emmertaler cheese. Thanks for your reply and great you won't see a doctor for so long. Take care girl!

By the way, they sure make awesome B&W photos in the hospital!!

cam

It looks to be a very good x-ray result; I hope the rehab goes well - I know the feeling!
actually, my recovery has been nothing less than miraculous. (yes, it was *that* bad) -- the elbow is the worst break you can have. i've worked very hard to get back to my norm rather than settle for functional. while the break healed strongly, it has also thrown the alignment off as there is a slight curvature. i think a lot of my pain has come from trying to re-teach old muscles new tricks :rolleyes:

btw, what did you bash?

Ouch...how does one smash it that badly?
um, very embarrassing and unglamorous. bonding with my two young nephews, rollerblading, avoiding merde on the sidewalks of beverly hills :eek: it was a perfect storm fall on an outstretched arm. i was wearing wrist guards, but my arm is naturally hyperextended and very fine-boned -- it bore the entire brunt of my weight (the other one was lifted instinctually as i didn't want to stick my hand in the poo.) after years of being a jock (most recently rock climbing) and getting away with only scrapes and bruises, this was *really* humiliating.

Holly cow! Your arm looks like an Emmertaler cheese. Thanks for your reply and great you won't see a doctor for so long. Take care girl!

By the way, they sure make awesome B&W photos in the hospital!!
:D they do, don't they??? i've been playing around with a crop of the one on the left -- it looks like a psychedelic bong to me :p

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that looks like an ouch!
Reminds me how lucky I am with only carpal tunnel nearing due.
Heal up real quick.
-bob

Last edited:

helenhill

Actually your arm looks like a Beautiful Sculpture
I'm so Sorry :scry: for all youv'e been through, Cam

Loved your psychedelic bong vision....quite Funny
Perhaps we should have WOUTER send us some Brownies ;)
To a Speedy & Pain Free recovery - Best,Helen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Cam: Holy cow. I'm really glad it's on the mend. That must have been (still is?) an amazing ordeal. Incredible how tough and resilient our bodies are though, isn't it? (I can't help but hear the sound of the power drill in my head when I look at those x-rays.)

Is it teaching you to be ambidexterous?

Tim

P.S. I just posted and saw Bertie's film. Yikes. I haven't had breakfast yet, go easy.

cam

before

Right arm - 'a grossly comminuted 4-part # of the surgical neck of the humerus' - not funny
ouch!!! and i'll raise you my Jaime Sommers turn. (apologies for the rough pic -- just did a quick snap in my bedroom)

btw, screws still in or out?

cam

Wow, that looks like an ouch!
Reminds me how lucky I am with only carpal tunnel nearing due.
hey, that's nothing to sneeze at! after this happened, i've had every "syndrome" possible in the hand/wrist and understand how painful and debilitating it can be.

what pisses me off further is that i have Tennis Elbow and Golfers Elbow :cussing: i play neither.

Perhaps we should have WOUTER send us some Brownies ;)
ooh! i'm all for that :ROTFL:

Is it teaching you to be ambidexterous?
actually, i'm a natural southpaw but am old enough that i was forced to become a rightie. it's been a very interesting journey...

W

wbrandsma

I know you would :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I have a x-ray of Cam's arm too :bugeyes:

cam

I know you would :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I have a x-ray of Cam's arm too :bugeyes:
:ROTFL: i'd forgotten all about that, sweet thing! :ROTFL:

seriously, i was feeling mighty inspired when i was walking around for a few weeks afterwards in a morphine stupor :cool:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This just flat out hurts.

Roller blading is probably the most dangerous activity out there. My back knows this to well. My neighbor split his head open and has never been the same. You will never see me on them again period.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wouter's xray reveals the ultimate street camera!

...As she demurely lifts her arm to brush a wayward lock of hair behind her ear, a soft "snick" can be heard. Her subjects remain unaware that they've been "captured" and will forever live in the digital realm.
;)

cam

Wouter's xray reveals the ultimate street camera!

...As she demurely lifts her arm to brush a wayward lock of hair behind her ear, a soft "snick" can be heard. Her subjects remain unaware that they've been "captured" and will forever live in the digital realm.
;)
brilliant! i might have to make a print of Wouter's picture and your description... truly wonderful.

************************************************************************************

eta: thank you everybody for feeling my pain. i stupidly thought this last operation would be easy... not! each day i'm able to shoot a little longer, though i have to give it a break if it's really paining me. it's almost like working out at the gym... anyways, your words are a good kissing of my boo boo. thank you!

Last edited:
H

Haya

OUCH! That looks very painful! I hope you have a speedy recovery *hug*

Robert Campbell

Wrong end of the scalpel again

btw, screws still in or out?
Cam, your before and after pix show impo an excellent anatomical result.
My titanium-mongery is out - I don't have any other pix here - and I don't do 'product photos' as you can see :)
Good luck and success with the physio.