The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Peter Turnley Semana Santa Photos

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The online photographer just published a series of photographs by Peter Turnely taken at Semana Santa in Seville Spain . I was particularly excited to see these as I was there shooting with Peter and in many of these I was right next to him.

It quite humbling to see how an accomplished professional handles exactly the same opportunity. Each day I came back totally worn out and yet with high expectations that new opportunities would exceed my expectations. I was not disappointed. My collection is on my website.

While ,for me , the story behind the images is a great attraction, there is much that can be learned by studying these images.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice post Roger, here are the links to make it easier for folks to see them. First, Pete's images on TOP: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

Now your Semana Gallery form 2010: http://rogerdunham.com/p448940987

Bottom line -- and I mean no disrespect -- I think Pete is slipping for whatever reason. Many of his images seem poorly focused via the typical wideangle and zone-focus mentality, and then he didn't really get low for very many shots, so most of the frames have an "I'm looking down on everything" perspective. (Though to be fair he did get lower for a few and IMO those are his best shots.)

Your images are firstly of better overall technical quality, being more accurately focused and better processed for color and exposure. It appears you also used mixed your focal length choices up a bit more than Pete did. The bigger point however, at least IMHO, I think your images are also better composed, specifically because you did get low for many of them and I felt more "involved" with what was going on.

I'd give you the solid A on this series... :thumbs:

Cheers,

Terry

Roger,
I haven't looked at Peters work. I looked at your and there are a number I really like. Most of all I liked the shot where the "torch" is in focus and all of the people in the white hoods are gathered around. This shot really makes you look to be surprised by the details.

micek

No disrespect either, but looking at Turnley's work I feel I have been taken to the midst of the Semana Santa, and looking at Roger's I feel I am looking at pictures taken by someone who was there -I insist, no disrespect.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Roger,
I haven't looked at Peters work. I looked at your and there are a number I really like. Most of all I liked the shot where the "torch" is in focus and all of the people in the white hoods are gathered around. This shot really makes you look to be surprised by the details.
Agree Terry -- #20 is the stunner, and I like #18 a lot too...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thank you for the kind comments.

While I appreciate the thumbs up on my images , I think a lot can learn a lot from Peter s collection.

But maybe I should share a little of what I learned in the last two years of working on my street photography. During this time I have had probably 8-10 portfolio reviews by pretty well know photographers like Peter,his brother David,Alex Webb, Jay Maisel and a few photo editors like Robert Pledge of the Contact Group. So I have had some pretty decent feedback in a vary personal way. What is surprising is that they pick the same images out of the 30 prints I show them?

What is most important across the board are two things....catching the moment and using the full frame to build an image. Everything else they assume you already understand or is of a lesser importance. (sort of the craft verse art discussion). It took me a while to understand when Jay Maisel said "nice rendering" on one of my endless images of a Lighthouse ..that what he really meant was "nice demonstration of your equipment".

So using the above criteria I felt there was a lot to learn from Peter s images. Two things I noticed where the level of emotion in the faces and the depth and complexity of the composition. The framing,the point of focus and the "moment" come together in most of the images in a way that makes the photograph. The background not only creates interest but also adds the right context to the photograph.

A few interesting asides:

1. None of the professionals I worked with use zone focusing . In fact I have had to point out that its much less effective with digital due the precise plane of focus and enhanced resolution . Most use manual focus because its faster if the point of focus is out of the center area. Peter moves the focus point now on his D3 and uses AF.

2. All of the above and really every PJ I have talked with use Cloudy WB for everything . This drives me nuts. Night shots don t have to be RED to have warmth. I start with auto WB and try to get it perfect in post processing...then I add some K to give the night shots a slightly warmer look without blowing out the RED.

3. Why do the smaller versions of the files look unsharp? If you double click on the image and get a full size view ..the images are all very sharp. In fact they might be a tad over sharpened for my taste. I found a few with slight camera motion but none with a missed focus? What am I missing?

My critique of the collection (beyond the WB issues) was the length . I think the ideal collection length is between 12-24 and a more powerful collection of the best 20 works better for a web presentation.

I am interested in any thoughts as having been there they can be helpful ideas for action.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No disrespect either, but looking at Turnley's work I feel I have been taken to the midst of the Semana Santa, and looking at Roger's I feel I am looking at pictures taken by someone who was there -I insist, no disrespect.
Agree completely and believe me I was pushing hard for the inside look. I was inside the processions in the street for hours trying for exactly that feeling.

Nick_Yoon

Some comments from my own perspective and experience having shot Easter Week in Sicily, also on a workshop.

I'd seen Peter Turnley's pics posted on TOP before, and I share Jack's observations about his "looking down" perspective. However Turnley's shots are "closer" both physically and emotionally. Many of Roger's shots, I feel, are a bit distant, perhaps "touristy" rather than "photojournalistic".

As mentioned above, the shot of the lantern with the hooded figures around is great. I also like a few other shots - 1, 12, 13.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My objective is to learn from every opportunity . Least there be any doubt I would never compare my work with someone with Peter s credentials . I only mentioned my efforts to provide a contrast. Its not often that you can shoot next to a photographer of Peter s caliber and then see your own work.

What was encouraging was that I am seeing the shots(not walking blindly down the street like a few years ago). Execution is another matter and as you can see you can get severely roughed up running backwards in a procession.

But if you never seen Semana Santa I can highly recommend it .

My apology if I am overly serious about this stuff..it was great fun .