The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some pics from the volcano in Iceland

You may get a chance to see something even more spectacular. While watching a National Geographic HD special on the eruption I learned that a larger volcano to the east often erupts after the smaller one does, and that the larger volcano is overdue in its average eruption span.

If you get NGHD check and see if the show is going to rerun because the film and information is fascinating.

Lars

That would be Katla.

Or... you're referring to Laki fissure. Last time Laki erupted in 1783 the sulphur gas cloud alone possibly killed about 23,000 people in England. Globally that eruption is estimated to have killed 2 million people, most indirectly through climate changes.

I don't think "specacular" is the right word for Laki though. We do not want to see Laki erupt again.

I think it is Katla, because they said it tends to erupt every 50 years or so and it has been over 100 years since the last.

NGHD is replaying it several times today so I'll check the specifics. I remember coming away with the thought that air travel would be restricted quite a bit longer than last time.