The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Don't buy an iPhone prototype.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Seems like a lot of over-the-top actions and reactions by all the parties involved. Enormously effective PR though.

I'm the last person to make any kind of judgement about the technicalities of the law. However, "found in a bar" sounds an awful lot like "fell off the back of a truck".

kevinparis

vivek

I was only quoting the law that seems to say if you find something and don't make reasonable efforts to return it then technically it is regarded as stolen.

Personally I think Gizmodo were very stupid in their actions - they could have done the scoop without acknowledging that they paid for the phone - thats whats getting them into trouble.

K

T

tokengirl

What kills me is the time and money wasted not to mention California being broke that is going into a PHONE. How about taking all that money and donating it to some worthy charity instead or better yet round up a few more drug dealers and mass murderers. I understand that may make to much sense and not how things really work.:wtf:
Totally agree. This whole thing is just silly. Apple got their damn phone back already anyways.

Lars

Here's another interpretation of passed events:

Gizmodo made a tremendous effort to find the rightful owner - they described the device in text and pictures on their frequentlty read site. And it worked, within hours the rightful owner contacted Gizmodo.

jonoslack

Here's another interpretation of passed events:

Gizmodo made a tremendous effort to find the rightful owner - they described the device in text and pictures on their frequentlty read site. And it worked, within hours the rightful owner contacted Gizmodo.
:ROTFL::ROTFL:

photoSmart42

Apple and law enforcement are completely in the wrong for their actions against Gizmodo in this case IMO.

a. Gizmodo tried to have Apple confirm that it was indeed one of their products he had in his possession as soon as he acquired it, and Apple vehemently denied it. That means Gizmodo was in the clear to do whatever he wanted with it. So he popped it open and wrote a review about it. Only after the review came out did Apple acknowledge that indeed it was their prototype.

b. As soon as Apple confirmed in writing that it was their prototype, Gizmodo promptly returned the item to Apple.

c. AFTER Apple received their lost prototype they filed a criminal complaint for the item they already had in their possession as stolen by Gizmodo, at which point law enforcement had no choice but to act on it.

The point is, when Gizmodo wrote about the prototype iPhone in their possession, as far as they knew it was a hoax since Apple denied the existence of such prototype, so Gizmodo can't really be charged as an accessory to this 'theft'.

I get the fact that Apple may be concerned about files on Gizmodo's computers which may show the inner components of the phone, and that is something they can request to have returned, but it should have been done through a legal injunction and not through police force. Apple definitely overstepped their bounds on this one, but it remains to be seen how much they'll be affected by this bad PR in any event. I suspect people will still flock to purchase their products because the Apple image stopped being about 'bucking the system' a long, long time ago.

Terry

a. Gizmodo tried to have Apple confirm that it was indeed one of their products he had in his possession as soon as he acquired it, and Apple vehemently denied it. That means Gizmodo was in the clear to do whatever he wanted with it. So he popped it open and wrote a review about it. Only after the review came out did Apple acknowledge that indeed it was their prototype.
Where did you see this info.....in all the stuff I've read this wasn't in any account of the timeline.

jlm

Workshop Member
i read something on the gizmodo site(?) that he called apple early on, but was stonewalled as none of the lower level apple staff knows anything about R&D, hence they assumed the protophone was a hoax

D

DougDolde

One thing good about it, we've seen the next iPhone and it looks outstanding. The new model should lessen the need for an iPad in my view. Higher resolution will be a major advantage.

I still think the iPhone is a more useful device than an iPad due to its small pocketable size and of course the phone. I just can't get that excited about the iPad even after handling one several times. If I want a big screen I have my computer.