The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spill, Baby, Spill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oxide Blu

Hey, the libtards in Washington knew the potential eviro damage within hrs of the "leak" but covered it up! :eek: This ain't gonna go well for the empty suit in the White House. See this from the Center for Public Integrity:

http://www.publicintegrity.org/

The leak is what it is. Nothing is going to change that. That said, the best we can hope for is maximum entertainment value from the empty heads/empty suits in Washington. So far, so good.
:thumbs: :D

Hey Vivek -- when I want mental stimulation, I look to the idiots in Hollywood, too. Lord knows they are just sooooooo intellectual. :rolleyes:

LJL

Oxide Blu,
If it is not asking too much, might you please keep the political rhetoric and opinions to yourself for this thread. We already went a round or two on that, and although this is an "open forum" folks have been trying to keep this thread more for information sharing and updating, and not political activism and commentary. We all know there is plenty of blame on all sides, that things are not going well at all, that this is a true catastrophe, etc., so blaming feckless liberals or conservatives, and stuff like that does not make this get any better. If your perspective on this is reduced to entertainment value only, maybe it might be worth a trip down here to help with the clean-up, rather than just taking acerbic shots at how it is being handled....oh, and bring your own boots and waders to help mop things up, as they are needed ;-)

LJ

stephengilbert

"Oxide Blu,
If it is not asking too much, might you please keep the political rhetoric and opinions to yourself for this thread."

+1

bensonga

Here are a few photos from East Grand Terre Island, LA posted on the Houston Chronicle's website. I'm afraid that this kind of damage will be with us for months to come. A disaster of this magnitude should NEVER happen again.

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

Oxide Blu,
If it is not asking too much, might you please keep the political rhetoric and opinions to yourself for this thread.
I am going to go ahead and comment here because it may have some value for other folks reading this... If you take a look in the upper right-hand corner of your screen you will a button labeled "Private Messages". It works -- use it. By doing so you can help keep your personal rhetoric that has nothing to do with the oil leak off this thread. ;)

If your perspective on this is reduced to entertainment value only, maybe it might be worth a trip down here to help with the clean-up, rather than just taking acerbic shots at how it is being handled....
My perspective on this is exactly what I said it is. You would do well to re-read what I wrote -- I view the political posturing in Washington regarding this event as entertainment. I said absolutely NOTHING about the oil leak itself being entertaining. It is not -- it is a travesty. Again -- you really could benefit greatly from re-reading what I wrote in this thread. And if you want to share some kind of personal comment about it with me, again, there is a little button in the upper-right hand corner ... use it!

This thread has political overtones since it was started. Think of it as a TV channel -- if you don't like what you see, don't watch it. Start your own thread about how to clean oil off a bird, or whatever you think the thread should be.

My reason for posting the link about Washington DC knowing the oil leak was worse than reported goes to something Lars said about not trusting the US gov't on this. We now know Lars is/was 100% correct with his point.

Stephen -- ditto to you what I said to LJ about using private messages to help keep the personal rhetoric to a minimum. ;)

bensonga

Oxide Blu. Thanks for the link to the article. I read it several times. I don't come to the same conclusions as you have however. Perhaps you should re-read it more carefully with particular attention to the difference between the meanings of "potential" vs "actual".

I guess for someone inclined to view the president as just another "empty suit" his public statement on April 22 (less than 48 hours after the rig exploded) urging agencies of the federal government to make the accident its “No. 1 priority” counts as nothing.

Gary

O

Oxide Blu

I guess for someone inclined to view the president as just another "empty suit" his public statement on April 22 (less than 48 hours after the rig exploded) urging agencies of the federal government to make the accident its “No. 1 priority” counts as nothing.
Good "guess", Gary. The empty suit in the White House, aka the least popular president in US history, is a mere flag that flies in the direction of political opinion. Whatever is popular, Obama points in that direction. And so it goes with the oil leak. :rolleyes:

Here you go, Gary:

Seventy-three percent (73%) of Americans now predict that the Gulf leak will have a major or, worse, a devastating long-term impact on the environment. Voters remain critical of how President Obama and the companies involved are responding to the disaster, although they overwhelmingly think the oil companies should pay for the clean-up.

Yet voters strongly believe offshore drilling plays an important part in the country’s energy future, which helps to explain why 58% still support such drilling. But that support is down from 72% in March just after the president lifted the long-time ban on offshore drilling. He recently restored that ban, at least temporarily.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub..._they_told_us_reviewing_last_week_s_key_polls

Note: Rasmussen is a Democrat. He (and fellow Democrat Zogby) are the two most respected political pollsters.

Here you go Gary; the popularity reality of the empty suit libtard in the White House, since he took office:

If you are following the political digest, real-world folks see this oil leak as being to the hollow Easter bunny in the White House similar to what Katrina was to Shrub when he was in the White House.

So, yes, Gary, your guess is correct; Obama making the oil leak his #1 priority, and then doing nothing about it, pretty much counts as nothing in the eyes of real-world folks. Btw, those "folks" are the ones that actually show up and vote. ;)

bensonga

Once I again I have to wonder why, when a president (any president), less than 48 hours after this accident occured, has directed the responsible federal agencies (presumably the Coast Guard, Homeland Security, NOAA etc) to make responding to this accident their number one priority, you think those are just empty words. Perhaps you have some suggestions for what more, specifically, the President should have done on that day to mobilize the resources of the federal government.

Regarding the article itself, it's interesting that the title is "Coast Guard Logs Reveal Early Spill Estimate of 8,000 bbls a Day". I'm guessing that most people would interpret that as an estimate of how much oil is actually spilling into the Gulf at the time (shortly after the rig exploded). Of course, that is NOT what the Coast Guard log is referring to at all. They estimated the potential for a spill of 8,000 bbls/day in the POSSIBLE event of a complete well blow out. There is much about the way this article is written which can lead people to jump to incorrect conclusions....particularly if they are predisposed to do so.

Gary

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

I'll ask the question again. Are you a birther?
And again, everyone on the forum is ignoring your question. Well, everyone except me...and I'm responding only to tell you not to bother posting your query a third time. :rolleyes:

Rick, if you want to discuss Obama's citizenship, start a new thread to do so. If I am interested I will respond there. If you have a query specifically for me, there is a button in the upper right hand corner labeled "Private Messages". It works, use it. If I am interested I will respond via a private message. This thread is about the oil leak. ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Please folks,
This is a photography forum.
If you would like to cross political swords, please find a dueling field elsewhere.
I have decided, reluctantly, to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.