The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite places to shoot

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm on a roll here this very early morning here but was thinking of heading to Sedona tomorrow to try out my ZD and some lenses but was thinking what are some of your favorite places to shoot in your local area. Also what you like to shoot. Photography is supposed to be fun be it a Pro or Amateur so what place get's the juices flowing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For me, home is Sudbury Mass.
Lots of stuff around town on my to-shoot list depending on season and weather. Up the coast and VT in the fall are areas I want to shoot but somehow don't find the occasion.
But I really like to travel, wide open vistas and things unusual for me.
Dawn and late afternoon when the light is nice almost anywhere.
I used to shoot people pretty often, portraits and nudes mostly, but I seem to veer away from that sort of thing now.
I got cured of product shots after a session with a major margarine manufacturer's art director's idea of the color of butter.
I am interested in getting out the dusty old lights 3200k of course, and perhaps engaging a model or two to see if I can get back into shooting people. Gosh, this gives me the opportunity to update a whole set of equipment.:toocool:
Strobes, generators, softbox, pocket wizards ... I am sure there is more
All my old muslins have disappeared so that is another thing.
Gives me a GAS attack.
-bob

Terry

Whenever I get a new camera (ok, pretty often), I test it out at the carousel in Central Park. I guess if I continue to have GAS I will have enough images to make a book out of it. The rest of Central Park is a great place to shoot with each season having its own character.
Another favorite of mine which I hope to play with over this weekend is longish exposure (15-60 seconds) night shooting in the city.

D

DougDolde

For me Sedona is a little too commercial unless you have a lot of time to hike off the beaten path. I much prefer the Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest in that vicinity.

More time? Go to the North Rim. Or Cottonwood Canyon Road which runs N&S between west of Page and Escalante Utah. On the north end is Kodachrome Basin State Park with Grosvenor Arch just south of there.

Damn, I really need to get out of Los Angeles !

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I can hardly wait to see your 8x10 contact prints, but I would be a little wary about keeping a focusing cloth over my head too long in Central Park:p
-bob

Whenever I get a new camera (ok, pretty often), I test it out at the carousel in Central Park. I guess if I continue to have GAS I will have enough images to make a book out of it. The rest of Central Park is a great place to shoot with each season having its own character.
Another favorite of mine which I hope to play with over this weekend is longish exposure (15-60 seconds) night shooting in the city.

Terry

I can hardly wait to see your 8x10 contact prints, but I would be a little wary about keeping a focusing cloth over my head too long in Central Park:p
-bob
The one thing I can guarantee is that I will never have enough GAS to go in that direction.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For me Sedona is a little too commercial unless you have a lot of time to hike off the beaten path. I much prefer the Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest in that vicinity.

More time? Go to the North Rim. Or Cottonwood Canyon Road which runs N&S between west of Page and Escalante Utah. On the north end is Kodachrome Basin State Park with Grosvenor Arch just south of there.

Damn, I really need to get out of Los Angeles !
Agree Doug Sedona is a little commercial in many spots . i don't have a lot of time and need to get back so it is a good day trip for me. I just need to get this ZD out there and see what results i can get from it. A couple lenses came in from a trade so good time to try them out for personal work before I put them into service. Doug you need to play hooky and go play yourself with your new toy. I think when you get new toys you need to get a handle on them and taking your time on personal stuff is the way to go before your under the gun.

Terry

i don't have a lot of time and need to get back so it is a good day trip for me. I just need to get this ZD out there and see what results i can get from it. A couple lenses came in from a trade so good time to try them out for personal work before I put them into service.
Congratulations on the new lenses! Have fun with the ZD tomorrow.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
A 6 - 10 block walking radius of my house. I think it was Imogene Cunningham who said a good photographer could walk into their back yard a create a masterpiece.