The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are Cameras the New Guns?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer...."

Full story

Lisa

This is really, really scary. Without recordings, how could anyone *ever* prove police wrongdoing? And can you in theory be arrested in those states for snapping a street photo that happens to have a police officer somewhere in it?

Lisa

O

Oxide Blu

From the link John posted:

... 12 states in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway.

Unless I misunderstood this it seems the idea of secretly recording police (or anyone else for that matter) is not lawful. If it is obvious you are recording then I guess you are in the clear. :confused:

S

smithdsouza

Yes i can say that cameras are new guns. They tell the truth, specially news reporters can work on different project to show the corruption in the news on the tv. They can capture the illegal matters and can have them on the tv so this way they can shoot out legally without any harm.

M5-Guy

It's funny that photography is one of the fastest growing hobbies, and in a parallel universe, the banning of photography is becoming more wide spread and so is the paranoia of being photographed :wtf:

RomanJohnston

I wonder how many terrorists have slipped by while a police many was preoccupied with harrassing a photographer?

And so much for checks and balances...eh? A video dosnt lie...guess the police are not interested in the truth any more....wow...basic tennants the US was SUPPOSED to be built upon....flying right out the window. This kind of stuff will go untill somone pushes it right into our higher courts....till then a lot of innocent people will be harrased and deprived of what should be their rights.

Roman

M5-Guy

I wonder how many terrorists have slipped by while a police many was preoccupied with harrassing a photographer?

And so much for checks and balances...eh? A video dosnt lie...guess the police are not interested in the truth any more....wow...basic tennants the US was SUPPOSED to be built upon....flying right out the window. This kind of stuff will go untill somone pushes it right into our higher courts....till then a lot of innocent people will be harrased and deprived of what should be their rights.

Roman
I have a solution...
Shameless plug..... :D

A Tee Shirt I offer-Back Side-

stephengilbert

"We need this check and balance to help keep the law officers honest, and expose the bad ones."

This is exactly why there is hostility to photographers: people in power do not want their abuses made public, and too often cover up for "the bad ones." The GI who leaked video of troops killing civilians and journalists in Iraq is going to be prosecuted for it.

I guess the killings were a state secret.

M5-Guy

"We need this check and balance to help keep the law officers honest, and expose the bad ones."

This is exactly why there is hostility to photographers: people in power do not want their abuses made public, and too often cover up for "the bad ones." The GI who leaked video of troops killing civilians and journalists in Iraq is going to be prosecuted for it.

I guess the killings were a state secret.
Correct, we (photographers) are not the problem. But, those that "Are the Problem" (bad cops), want to shift the blame and take the "Eyes" off them. But, the "Eyes" need to stay on them (bad cops) so they can be dealt with.

It can help! Example
I our area, an officer tazered a special needs child that was losing it. (I have a 10 year old SN child... I know how violent he can get). The officer was totally un prepared to deal with this.(as many are).. So, he just tazered the kid out of frustration. :wtf: It was filmed! He was fired!

Last edited: