The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Johns many positive contributions will stay a part of the special forum atmosphere that has been built up here. I'm glad to have known John through this internet community, despite living in different parts of the world.

cam

my heart is breaking.

John was always thinking about chucking it all and coming over to europe on a freighter to visit. we even discussed what cheeses and wines we would have...

John, if you can hear me, you're still invited. travel will be so much easier for you now... and even though my cameras and lenses aren't quite as nice as yours, you are welcome to use anything i have so you don't have to worry about lugging your gear.

tonight i will have some Patron in your honour, as you did for your wife a little over two years ago. it didn't make the loss any less keen, but we had fun discussing the merits of certain tequilas over others. and you had been so touched when your friend had brought it over, not knowing what other comfort he could bring...

nasdrovia!

may you be reunited your beloved forever.

Diane B

John will be missed here. I've enjoyed his comments and links over the years and they added to the special vibe of this group.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I will hold him in the light.
Yes, tonight it will be Patron, John my friend.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
among the others, sadness at his passing. also proud that the forum can offer such a heartfelt rememberance

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack. Was actually looking for his "Golden" series without finding them.
A lot of true gems in John's gallery.

Patron tonight, then.

Rick Waldroup

My biggest regret is that I never took John up on meeting him at a local coffee shop. Over the years, we had exchanged literally hundreds of emails. John was a very complicated person. Although liberal in nature, like me, he had a very independent streak and we clashed many times politically. But, I loved him dearly because I respected his intellect and wit. And, he is probably the most well-read person I ever encountered. John once told me that he had a personal library of almost ten thousand books, many of them rare first editions.

John was never the same after the passing of his beloved Jeanne. I know it took a lot out of him.

What a strange time we live in. When I opened that email and saw those first words, I was completely stunned and the tears just started to flow, and this for a man that I never met in person, but I felt as though I had just lost a best friend.

I remember fondly the frist time he emailed me one of his "road kill" shots and told me that he was starting a new project and he asked for my opinion on it. I told him that he was a crazy old bastard. He emailed me back and said that he was fully aware of that fact but could I please keep it to myself.:)

I will never forget him.

Last edited:

tom in mpls

Stunned.

Here is some info I found in a similar thread at the Texas Photo Forum, where he was obviously quite active and well known.

Graveside service will be held at 10am on Monday, 21 June at the Burkett Cemetary in Coleman

There were no instructions on flowers, but when his wife passed the instructions were in lieu of flowers donations should be made to the Dublin Public Library or to the Dublin Historical Society.

Dublin Historical Museum
116 W Blackjack
Dublin TX 76446
(254)445-4550

Dublin Public Library
206 W Blackjack
Dublin TX 76446
(254)445-4141

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Maybe Jack would organize some kind of arrangement in name of GetDPI?
Just a thought -i apologize if not appropiate.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Jack would organize some kind of arrangement in name of GetDPI?
Just a thought -i apologize if not appropiate.
I'd be happy to arrange a donation on behalf of GetDPI. Probably best to to his Historical Society?

For those interested in participating, you can send a paypal (please use the personal payment option so there are no fees) to [email protected] and put John Stovall as the subject. I will collect all donations up through next Thursday (the 24th) and forward a single check from us to the society in his name on Friday morning the 25th.

Sound okay?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Perfect and great idea folks. Please donate what you can. At least we can do something with this sad loss of a dear friend of our forum.

Maggie O

I'm stunned. Reading John's posts made my life better and I am grateful that he shared his wit and his eye and his heart with us. I miss him already.