The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

Robert Campbell

Have just now seen this; very saddened.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Last edited:

cam

Take it to Stovall's

Any takers for the John Stovall Sunset Bar? :)
i could go for Stovall Sunset Bar or Stovall's Sunset Bar)...

that allows it to remain a bit enigmatic, much like the man. a memorial but not overtly, more of a wink, a little kiss to heaven.

with his full name there, newcomers will just think he donated money and never really wonder. with only his last (the name he preferred) there will be a shroud of mystery, waiting to be released now and again.

and then we can tell tall tales of the man that was, is, and always will be...

Maggie O

Re: Take it to Stovall's

i could go for Stovall Sunset Bar or Stovall's Sunset Bar)...

that allows it to remain a bit enigmatic, much like the man. a memorial but not overtly, more of a wink, a little kiss to heaven.

with his full name there, newcomers will just think he donated money and never really wonder. with only his last (the name he preferred) there will be a shroud of mystery, waiting to be released now and again.

and then we can tell tall tales of the man that was, is, and always will be...
What Cam said, with a preference for "Stovall's Sunset Bar."

Rick Waldroup

John was laid to rest at Burkett Cemetery, located in an extremely remote, yet beautiful, area between Coleman and Cross Plains, Texas. Folks, when I say remote, I mean remote- this place is literally out in the middle of nowhere. After arriving at the cemetery, I could understand why John chose this place. It was close to where John grew up in Coleman, it is so remote and peaceful, and finally, it is so Texas like- and I never met anyone who loved Texas more than John, including myself. The first thing I noticed was the absolute silence. Very, very few cars passed by, no planes flying overhead- just this beautiful, pristine, Texas countryside that John had chosen as the last resting place for his wife and him. It was a small cemetery, yet one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever been to.

There were only a handful of people there when I arrived (and how I arrived is a strange story in itself) and I estimate that by the time the service started, there were approximately 40 people in attendence. However, there had been a memorial service earlier that morning at John's church in Dublin, which drew a large crowd. I did not attend that service.

I only snapped a few shots with my Ricoh GRD, as I did not want to be intrusive at all on such a solemn ceremony, or so I thought it to be. I heard so many stories about John's childhood, that soon, many in the crowd were laughing and shaking their heads as the priest recounted many of these stories. John would have loved this. This turned out to be a celebration of a life well lived, not a time of mourning for a life that had passed.

This is from the front gate as you enter the cemetary.

The small cemetary where John was laid to rest.

The view from John and Jeanne's final resting place.

John was born to a family of very prosperous merchants located in the Coleman area. I believe John was an only child and therefore pampered by his mother and father, but no one, and I mean no one spoiled John, like his Grandpa did. Whatever John Alex (what his Grandpa always called him)wanted, John Alex got. John was extremely intelligent and was reading magazines and books by the age of 3. One year, John told his Grandpa that he wanted a set of firecrackers for Christman. Now, these were not ordinary firecrackers, these were specially made firecrackers used in Chinatown in New York for the Chinese New Year celebration. John informed his Grandpa that he had read about them, and that this is what he wanted for Christmas. His Grandpa could not find these particular fireworks anywhere in Texas (you have to remember that this was back in the 1950's), so his Grandpa called the City of New York, got some numbers of people to call, and the next thing you know, John's Grandpa had the firecrackers flown into Dallas, where they were met by a courier and hand delivered to John Alex, on Christmas morning.

As all little boys do, John loved going to the rodeo and live stock shows. All the little boys would dress up in their best cowboy outfits- chaps, hats, boots, etc. But John was the only boy to show up wearing custom, hand-made boots, courtesy of John's Grandpa.

John once owned a pet alligator. Not a baby one that you could buy from the back of magazines back in those days. No, John's was a full grown 8 foot alligator. John told his Grandpa, when he was 8 years old, that he intended to become a zoo keeper when he grew up and therefore, he needed to start working on his own private zoo right away. Grandpa flew in a live, adult alligator from Lousiana. When they let it loose on the property, Grandpa made John promise him there he would not try to feed it or go near it. But John would sneak out sometimes, lay some food near a pond where the gator lived, and then climb up in a tree to watch his pet eat.

John also owned an iguana, that once again, Grandpa had to fly in from the West Coast, as he could not find one in Texas.

Although pampered like this, it made John a better person, instead of some little spoiled rich kid. His Grandpa was a crusty, old hard West Texas rancher who had worked hard for the good things in life and he wanted John to know that there was never any harm in being a dreamer and wanting the finer things in life. And this stayed with John forever and became the basis for John always wanting the best and wanting to live lfe to it's fullest- which he did.

There were so many stories like these that, like I mentioned above, were just wonderful to hear and soon all of us were laughing as we heard them because it finally made us realize that John had done what so many of us only dream about- he lived life to it's fullest with gusto and flair. I remember Jeanne once remarked about she had never met anyone so damn crazy as John, but how she could never imagine life without him, because to know John, was to know life itself.

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

On my way to the funeral, I got lost. Now, I pride myself on being able to read a map, and I almost never, ever get lost. But there I was, outside of Dublin, driving down a Farm to Market road (or an FM road), when suddenly, because of some contstruction, I had to detour on several gravel county roads, and after about 30 minutes of driving around and not seeing another car or living soul, I realized I was lost. A slight panic set in as I began to worry about being late to the funeral.

I finally made my way back to a hardtop road, but there were no signs and I could not even tell what direction I was headed in. I drove blindly, hoping to come across civilization somewhere- hoping to find a small town or a gast station where I could stop for directions. Another 15 minutes passed without seeing anyone. Then, as I topped a hill, I could see a car ahead of me, in the distance. I sped up, and as I got closer, I began to really look at the car- there was something unusual about it. As I got closer, that is when I realized that it was a hearse. I could tell it had a casket in it. It was John. I just knew it had to be because what are the odds that another hearse would be in such a remote area and then I began to think about the odds of me coming across the hearse in such a remote area. I knew it had to be John.

So, I did what any good photographer would do, I grabbed a camera. I followed the hearse all the way to the cemetery. And that is how I found my way there.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Rick, fantastic stories and documentation. Thanks very much for taking the time to post them.

A photographer's dream has to be someone taking time to record their passing and all while celebrating their living.

Kurt

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Jonathan and Kurt.

John was a systems analyst at Tarleton State Universtiy in Stepehenville, Texas. He retired from there a couple of years ago. From what I heard, though, John was involved with computer systems most of his life and that occupation took him all over the world. Someone told me that he actually lived and worked in China for a while back in the 70's, somethiing a bit unusual for a Westerner in those days.

Also, someone mentioned that John had an original Georgia O'Keefe painting hanging in his house. There were many different stories about how John acquired this, as it appears that he did not purchase it. According to one person, John's mother became acquainted with O'Keefe on the family's many trips to New Mexico in the early 1950's. The two ladies struck up a friendship, so much so, that they would spend a few days with O'Keefe on their visits, where John would run and play in the house. O'Keefe adored the "spirited little boy" and gave John's mother one of her paintings. That is how the story goes, but no one is absolutely sure about it. There were so many facets to John's personality and he really became larger than life- and that, my friends, is a hard feat to accomplish in the State of Texas.:)

I used to brag to John that I could bull**** with the best of 'em, having come from a long line of distinguished Texas bull****ters. John wrote me back and said, "Well, that's all fine and grand, my friend, but in my case, I have honed that skill down to a fine art to where no one, and I mean no one, can tell when I am bull****ting or I am telling the truth..." And he was right about that, as he was about a lof things when it comes to Texas.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So, I did what any good photographer would do, I grabbed a camera. I followed the hearse all the way to the cemetery. And that is how I found my way there.

John would LOVE this part of your story and I suspect he'd appreciate this image as his final farewell to us. Well done, and thank you for all the added insights!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wow, What a sendoff from this forum!

Rick, John would have loved the photo of the hearse. I appreciate you attending and sharing.

tom in mpls

From his profile at Amazon.com, which must have been written several years ago:

Call me, Stovall.

I'm a Sr. System Analyst for the Department of Information Resources at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. My wife of 36 years and I live in a historic home built in 1884 in Dublin, Texas. I came to TSU five years ago after 20 years with Control Data Corporation (Systems) and at the time of its dissolution was a Program/Project Manger in its Federal Projects Group. Prior to that I spent 10 years at Southern Methodist University, first as a Graduate student working on a Doctorate in Anthropology. I completed all course work and core examinations but went "All But Disseration" when my Disseration Director left after not getting tenured and my research grant fell through. I then worked for the computer center there as a Statistical Consultant and Scientific/Engineering programmer.

I am one of four authors working on the second volume of _Texas Burial Sites of Civil War Notables: A Biographic and Photographic Field Guide_.

My long term goal in life is to live in the South of France and spend my time writing and doing photographpy for my books and articles.

The photographers who have most influnced my work are:

David Douglas Duncan
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

Tim Page
http://www.lightstalkers.org/timpage

James Nachtwey
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Canon 20D and 5D with these Canon Lenses 400mm f/5.6L, 200mm f/2.8L, 180mm f/3.5L Macro,135mm f/2.0L, 16-35 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4.0L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4.0L, 70-200/2.8L IS, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.0L,
50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, EF 1.4X II, Peleng 8mm f/3.5 and 580EX. Modified Holga 120N.
Cancled Leica M8, ZM 21/2.8, 35/1.4 'Lux ASPH, 50/1.0 Nocti', 75/2.0 'Cron APO

Interests:
Collecting 19th Century Japanese print. 1st editions of Robinson Jeffers Texas in the Civil The military history of the French Foreign Legion and the Rhodeisian bush war. Fine are photography and printing.

Rick Waldroup

Thanks, Tom. Yes, someone mentioned the two books on burial sites. John did a lot of research for the project and the second book is due out sometime later this year or early next year. He was a huge Civil War history buff.

Also, many years ago, John and I talked about Cross Plains, Texas. He asked me if I had ever been there, and I told him no. He told he that the town had produced an extremely famous and talented person and that his family knew this person, before his death in the late 1930's.

Of course John would not tell me who it was, so I did some research on my own and found out that Robert E. Howard was born in and lived in Cross Plains. Howard was the creator of Conan the Barbarian and other science fiction and fantasy characters and basically invented the sword and sorcery pulp fiction in America that still exists today. Howard commited sucide in the late 1930's.

Cross Plains, population 2,000, holds an annual Barbarian Festival every year that attracts visitors from all over the world.