The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

cam

not to undermine the kind offer from Jack and Guy for compiling our money to give to John's favourite charity, but... in Stovall fashion, i decided to be ornery and go against the grain...

instead, i felt i'd rather keep his photographs alive. and, it seems, i'm not the only one! (according to Josh, his account is now flush through 2015)

(i'll link his photos again here)

if anyone wants to add another year, it's as easy as clicking on Give this person a gift subscription at the link below:

http://photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2004765

on his Lightstalker bio, in answer to a canned question, John said this:

As for ‘Why Photography’, why as van Gogh said, ‘To make them say, ’He feels deeply. He feels tenderly.’’

i hope it's said for a long time to come...

Maggie O

I finally made my way back to a hardtop road, but there were no signs and I could not even tell what direction I was headed in. I drove blindly, hoping to come across civilization somewhere- hoping to find a small town or a gast station where I could stop for directions. Another 15 minutes passed without seeing anyone. Then, as I topped a hill, I could see a car ahead of me, in the distance. I sped up, and as I got closer, I began to really look at the car- there was something unusual about it. As I got closer, that is when I realized that it was a hearse. I could tell it had a casket in it. It was John. I just knew it had to be because what are the odds that another hearse would be in such a remote area and then I began to think about the odds of me coming across the hearse in such a remote area. I knew it had to be John.

So, I did what any good photographer would do, I grabbed a camera. I followed the hearse all the way to the cemetery. And that is how I found my way there.

Even on the way to his own funeral, John found one last way to help out a friend. If that doesn't sum up John Stovall, I don't know what does.

Rick, y'all done good. By John and by everyone here. Thank you!

Lloyd

Even on the way to his own funeral, John found one last way to help out a friend. If that doesn't sum up John Stovall, I don't know what does.

Rick, y'all done good. By John and by everyone here. Thank you!
Amen to that!:salute:

Robert Campbell

Rick,

There may not have been many physical people present...but many of us were present in spirit.

Thank you for attending in persona for us, for representing us -- even if we had never met John, but only knew [and loved him for what he was] him through these forums.

Jack, Guy: what's with Stovall's Sunset Bar?

Make some of the above comments/Irish Blessing as a sticky comment and welcome?
[Dublin may be in Texas, but the original is in Ireland!]

S

Shelby Lewis

Just found this thread and I am at the same time shocked, saddened, and enlightened.

I didn't know John very well, but I always enjoyed his posts and well-defended writings. He was one of those people I had intended to attempt to meet one day in the future... just because he seemed so intriguing.

Rick, thanks so much for representing the forum in person. I truly think he had found a home here. Funny.. I read the replies about him at the texas forum, and there are so many (good-hearted!) remarks about him being a bit irritating from time to time...

... well we must just be a big group of irritating people, because he fit in perfectly over here :D

Say hi to my Mom, John (and your lovely bride)... you will be missed in these parts!

Rick Waldroup

Shelby, I was a member of the Texas Photo Forum for several years, until I was banned, unjustly, as I saw it, but that is neither here nor there and is definately water under the bridge. However, John defended me on that forum to the point that he was almost banned himself. If John considered you a friend, you were a friend for life and he would defend you to the end. He was loyal beyond all reason.

And yes, he had a tendency to irritate the hell out of people on that forum.:D

steflaurent974

So sad he passed away. I was one of his anonymous reader.
This is just so strange, I have never thought the disparition of someone I have never met could affect me that way.
Today my thoughts are for him.

Stephane.

Reunion Island.

tom in mpls

I have often found that the people who irritate me the most are the ones who, when gone, I miss the most.
Oops, I didn't mean to say that John irritated me. "Hey, another post from Stovall. Where does he find all this obscure stuff?" His absence will be felt.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
On my way to the funeral, I got lost. [...]

[...]

I finally made my way back to a hardtop road, but there were no signs and I could not even tell what direction I was headed in. I drove blindly, hoping to come across civilization somewhere- hoping to find a small town or a gast station where I could stop for directions. Another 15 minutes passed without seeing anyone. Then, as I topped a hill, I could see a car ahead of me, in the distance. I sped up, and as I got closer, I began to really look at the car- there was something unusual about it. As I got closer, that is when I realized that it was a hearse. I could tell it had a casket in it. It was John. I just knew it had to be because what are the odds that another hearse would be in such a remote area and then I began to think about the odds of me coming across the hearse in such a remote area. I knew it had to be John.

So, I did what any good photographer would do, I grabbed a camera. I followed the hearse all the way to the cemetery. And that is how I found my way there.

Rick, what a story. And an amazing photo.
Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd give an update on the collections to date from GetDPI that we'll be forwarding in memory of John's to the Historical Society. Assuming nothing more comes in before Noon today, members have collectively contributed $350. We (GetDPI.com) will add in another $50 to bring the total gift to $400.

There was some indiction we should split the funds between the historical society and the library, but given the total, I feel it's best we send one larger gift in his name.

I'll draft a note to forward with the check and post it here as well.

R

Rusty_Tripod

Rick, thanks for the update. I have not been to the cemetery since June of 2006. Lots of family members are buried there. It is quiet because the road has been extended around Burkett. A few families have moved in, but it has changed from the nice little hamlet of my grandfather and aunts and uncles during the '50s.

John's grave is on the east side of the cemetery, so I will check it out when I am down there next. Hopefully, it will be before the summer is done.

Mother was from Cross Plains. Daddy was from Burkett, and I lived there as a small boy. The extended family resided in Coleman. Lots of connections so I want to find out if our families intersect.

My experience with John was that he was generous and feisty. He certainly had a strong curiosity streak so that I enjoyed reading his varied, and and seemingly unknown finds.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks,

This is what I've put together to send to the Dublin Historical Museum in honor of John, I figured I'd print it out and forward it of course with a check for the total gift. Rick, with your permission I'd like to share your picture with them, but totally understand if you'd prefer I didn't:

PS Edit: Hearing no objections, I am sending a check to the Dublin Historical Museum in the amount of $400 and attaching it to Glossy print of the sentiment below.

Thanks to all who participated, and to Rick for his perfect sendoff story and tribute photo.

To John Stovall, may you Rest In Peace my friend,

sinwen

..... by looking at the avatar, I knew the post was going to be interesting then I stopped scrolling and started to read.... Sad, very sad !

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Folks,

This is what I've put together to send to the Dublin Historical Museum in honor of John, I figured I'd print it out and forward it of course with a check for the total gift. Rick, with your permission I'd like to share your picture with them, but totally understand if you'd prefer I didn't:

PS Edit: Hearing no objections, I am sending a check to the Dublin Historical Museum in the amount of $400 and attaching it to Glossy print of the sentiment below.

Thanks to all who participated, and to Rick for his perfect sendoff story and tribute photo.

To John Stovall, may you Rest In Peace my friend,
Great send off. Nice work folks

Rick Waldroup

I am deeply moved by the generous spirit of all the folks here and I am deeply humbled that the forum decided to tie in my photo and story along with the donation.

Deeply, deeply humbled and I thank everyone here.

This is the type of generous spirit that made up John's soul. The entire forum should be proud.

Thanks, Rick.

PSon

I am sad for all that John is no longer with us. What I remember and miss about him:
1) Famous phrases on his signature that he changed from time to time
2) His passion for the highest quality
3) His interest and love for photography at many levels and forms
4) His contribution to the community
5) I miss the opportunity to see the images from the latest lens he spoke so highly of, the Leica Apo 4.0/280. A fine lens for a fine gentleman indeed. In his honor I will reacquire this lens and post the images here at GetDPI in the Leica forums and call it John Stovall Last Lens to celebrate his memories and visions.

Rick, thanks for telling us the story of John; you made it crystal clear for us to see John and his final resting place.

John, this one is for you in your new home: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/a/m/a/amazing_grace.htm

Best Wishes,
-Son

D

David Rutledge

Wow...Stovall is dead.
I met John in 1953 or so, grew up with him. I had rock fights with him, rode around Coleman in his first car, remember the Iguana he had in his bedroom. I remember when he got his first "good" camera, an Argus C3. I was rooming with him when he bought his Cyclops Contarex (bought after he played with my Nikon FT and grew jealous of its capabilities) At the time, he had a Russian KGB Leica copy which his dad had taken from a German officer in WWII. The KGB Leica copy quit, and he went camera hunting. We had many discussions on what pictures were "worthy of the wall" and were critical of each others work. We separated when we got married, and I have not talked to him in 30 years. I had always pictured myself retiring to the Hill country above Austin, re-connecting with him and trading war stories about our lives. I was truly depressed to learn of his passing, and truly regret not re-connecting while he lived.
David Rutledge

H

HarrisGraeberII

I "met" Stovall in 2006 on Texas Photo Forum. I had only exchanged messages about his photos, and answered about mine. I was still not sure about "digital" photography. I sent the following photo to Stovall, full size, via email:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/TXhummer2/TexasCapitol/TerrysTexasRangers20061216.jpg totally expecting scathing criticism. His answer?
"That is a great shot. Thanks. I'll make a print of it." John A. Stovall, February 13, 2007.

I later found a book in Austin that he could no longer find a copy of. I was ready to send it to Dublin, but at that time in 2007, Jeanne was still able to travel, so they found another reason to "stop by" our home in Leander (yes we have moved). I am 6'2" in my boots, and I looked up to his bearded smile, while his hand engulfed mine in friendship. He and Jeanne did not sit, nor stay long, and off with the book they went.

I imagine Stovall will be riding around up there sometime, but only after his reunion with Jeanne! Thanks for attending, and for the photos, at the graveside and on the road!

P

Paul Kalich

I met John face to face only 3 times over the last few years, also met him on Texas Photo F, and he left a mark on me that I won't forget. He was a giant of a man but he was also a gentle and great person and will be missed by many folks across the net. It shocked me and many others to hear of his passing but we all have to go some times sooner or later and now he can be with his dear wife that he still missed so much.

So even though this is my first post here it won't be my last and I hope to bring in some interesting links and comments in the style of John-Over on TPF John and I sometimes would trade private messages on many topics that we thought were a bit to HOT for that forumn or would stir up too much trouble for both of us since we both had been read the riot act over Rick and his banning from the site about 2 years ago.