The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

cam

So even though this is my first post here it won't be my last and I hope to bring in some interesting links and comments in the style of John-Over on TPF John and I sometimes would trade private messages on many topics that we thought were a bit to HOT for that forumn or would stir up too much trouble for both of us since we both had been read the riot act over Rick and his banning from the site about 2 years ago.
that would be lovely!

and welcome, Paul -- i look forward to your posts! i have missed John's so much...

(now we just need to work on that name change... eh, Jack and Guy?)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I met John face to face only 3 times over the last few years, also met him on Texas Photo F, and he left a mark on me that I won't forget. He was a giant of a man but he was also a gentle and great person and will be missed by many folks across the net. It shocked me and many others to hear of his passing but we all have to go some times sooner or later and now he can be with his dear wife that he still missed so much.

So even though this is my first post here it won't be my last and I hope to bring in some interesting links and comments in the style of John-Over on TPF John and I sometimes would trade private messages on many topics that we thought were a bit to HOT for that forumn or would stir up too much trouble for both of us since we both had been read the riot act over Rick and his banning from the site about 2 years ago.
Hi Paul, and welcome to GetDPI!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Thought you'd all like to see this note from the Dublin Historical Society. Our gift in memory of John was obviously welcomed and provided a memorial plaque in honor of him on one of their restoration projects:

Thanks to all who participated, it's a very fitting tribute to John's memory here!

tom in mpls

Thought you'd all like to see this note from the Dublin Historical Society. Our gift in memory of John was obviously welcomed and earned him a memorial plaque on one of their restoration projects
Jack, I think rather that John earned a memorial plaque. Our gift just paid for it. Thanks for posting the letter.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, more what I meant --- excuse my poor choice of words, which I've edited...

M

Mango

My sincere condolences. I enjoyed his thoughts on this, and two other forums.

David K

Workshop Member
Just noticed this and wanted to add my respects for a fine photographer and gentleman. My condolences to his family and those that were close to him.

D

Don Neyhard

John Stovall's postings will certainly be missed. Since I live in Waco, only 90 miles away and work through Dublin occasionally, I had thought that I may try to contact him when I was in town; but, like so many old barns and buildings, I passed on through thinking that I was pressed for time this trip and would get to seeking him out the next time. And as we all know, that "next time" has a way of never happening until it is to late. RIP John.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Folks, one more update. It appears our gift made the local newspaper in Dublin Texas, and thought you would all like to see the article:

S

Shelby Lewis

I have to admit... I've had a bad couple of days reminiscing about my departed mom and this has me, at once, near tears and also feeling quite proud to be associated with the great people here.

I didn't make it in time to donate in John's name... so let me say a big thanks to all of you who have done such a generous thing in the name of this community at large. It is to the betterment of all of us for sure and I, personally, appreciate it.

Every time i see that photograph of the hearse, with John leading the way in absentia, I get goosebumps while feeling all warm and heartened at the same time!

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

Now, how cool is that. :clap:

That is great news and I am glad that the forum got some recognition for their sense of fellowship and community spirit.

I know John would be proud of every member here.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Obviously I was only an Internet aquaintance, but I mourn his passing. John always struck me a a man as big as his country. How fitting is the description of his funeral in the online Photographer.

T

thinkfloyd

Haven't been too active here for awhile, and I was gushed with extreme sadness when I saw this thread... :( I regret not being able to donate in John's name. Classy move by the GetDPI community. Like many others, he was a "virtual friend." His posts, insights and humor were a treat to read... I learned a lot from him without him knowing, and he unknowingly prodded me to make purchases I wouldn't normally do with his words... he will be sorely missed.

RIP John.

oc garza

I don't know how I've missed this thread for the past two months but I am very sorry to hear John has passed! I always admired his thoughtful opinions.

Kudos to the Getdpi tribute to John. I know he touched a lot of people with his comments on this forum.

God bless, John.

O.C. Garza
Victoria, Texas