The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good Birthday Gift

T

tokengirl

I sent my Better Half down to the TropicStar Lodge at Piñas Bay in Panama with a bunch of his buddies for some hardcore big game fishing. He definitely had a good time.

He caught forty of these bad boys in ONE DAY, the smallest one was about 40 pounds and the largest about 120 pounds. I have no idea how a person manages to catch forty fish that big in one day, I would have been ready for a nap after just one of those big guys.

He also caught his first roosterfish, which I think is one of the coolest looking fish in the ocean, and a spectacular fighter.

Piñas Bay is most famous for black marlin and sailfish, but this is not the right time of year for billfish. But nobody came back from the trip disappointed, that's for sure. The TropicStar Lodge is a first class operation by all accounts. More info here: http://www.tropicstar.com/

bensonga

That's alot of dead fish....looks like a yellow fin tuna.

Glad it wasn't the blue fin tuna (endangered).

Gary

T

tokengirl

That's alot of dead fish....looks like a yellow fin tuna.

Glad it wasn't the blue fin tuna (endangered).

Gary
Yes, it's yellowfin tuna. They each kept two tunas, and released the rest of the fish unharmed. We are big believers in "catch & release" fishing. FWIW, so is the staff at the TropicStar Lodge - they were the first to start releasing all billfish when all the other fishing lodges and charters in in Central America were killing everything so that they could hang it on a wall. They have fought hard to preserve the fishery so that it can be enjoyed for generations to come.

bensonga

Yes, it's yellowfin tuna. They each kept two tunas, and released the rest of the fish unharmed. We are big believers in "catch & release" fishing. FWIW, so is the staff at the TropicStar Lodge - they were the first to start releasing all billfish when all the other fishing lodges and charters in in Central America were killing everything so that they could hang it on a wall. They have fought hard to preserve the fishery so that it can be enjoyed for generations to come.
Glad to hear it! Fish stocks around the globe are being depleted at an unprecedented rate now. Over fishing together with the environmental degradation of the oceans is not a good omen for the future. I wonder if 50-100 years from now this kind of sport fishing experience will even be possible.

Gary

T

tokengirl

Gary,

I think that's going to be determined by the commercial fishing industry. The impact of sport fishing has always been a small blip comparatively speaking, and now it's an even smaller blip because of the high numbers of sport fishermen who practice catch & release.

It's an incredibly complicated issue, but it basically comes down to commercial interests versus recreational interests. The arguments often get ugly.

A

aprillove20

Are blue fin tuna not for fishing? I mean , do the government warn people not to include the rare fishes or endangered for their fishing .,?