The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

San Juan 2008-05

robsteve

Subscriber
I am a bit behind on the posting. These are from the Belly Dancer evening. The first few are the Noctilux and 1250iso. The one of Jack was 1/4 of a second. The images in this post were all Noctilux and available darkness. Lets see what the Nikon D3 shooters got :)

Here is Bob at 1/8th.

Lance and Ray:

Ray with the Mamiya and a special Leica flash :)

robsteve

Subscriber
The belly Dancers arrived after we had been there for a while and started our meals.

Cynthia decided to give it a try.

Marcie then joined in.

Guy waited until she put her sword away before patting her bottom.

Last edited:

tollie

Workshop Member
An amazing week... tired but in a good way.

Our last night saw us on the roof top garden at The gallery Inn. Lance asked me to shoot a portrait of him "working".

Shot with M8 28 wide open converted with true grain.

tollie

Workshop Member
Lance had me cornered up on the roof and forced a 45+ back into my hands. Wow a great camera... smooth controls, intuitive.

I repaid him with a softer portrait shot with the lights of modern San Juan in the background.

M8 28 2.8

This was my first workshop with DPI.

A great balance of shooting, fun, PP.

I learned from Guy and Jack but also from the synergy of the other attendees. A really knowledgeable and generous group. Thanks... and I look forward to seeing some of the great images that were made this week.

David K

Workshop Member
Great images here from my fellow workshop attendees but they can only hint at how much fun we had down here. Learned a lot and haven't laughed this hard in forever. My laptop isn't up to the task of processing my images but I'll post some of the better ones when i get home. Thanks to Jack and Guy for hosting an amazing experience. BTW, as some of the images show, my wife Marcie had a blast... quite different than what she expected before she met the participants :)

robsteve

Subscriber
These are from the last night of the workshop. We had the chance to shoot the sunset from the roof of the Galleria Inn, which overlooks a lot of Old Town.

These last two are shot with the 180mm f3.4 APO.

Terry

Waking up my last morning in San Juan was a challenge but was well rewarded. Very pleased with the light this morning. All taken with the Nikon D300 and 18-200 lens.

View attachment 4443

View attachment 4444

View attachment 4445

I guess this one (below) shows the problems with this lens, as the ocean isn't quite bowl shaped and this also shows some vignetting. I will need to consult my photoshop gurus on how to try and fix (Jack/Guy help :grin: please :angel:)
View attachment 4446

View attachment 4447

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Rob: Great set of images!

Ted: VERY nice B&W conversion -- liked that trick, eh? :thumbup:

Terry: Awesome series, great compositions! That had to be this morning, because I never saw skies like that -- ?

Congrats all!

Terry

Terry: Awesome series, great compositions! That had to be this morning, because I never saw skies like that -- ?
Thanks Jack,
It was this morning....It wasn't easy getting up for our 5:15 departure. Bob, David and Lance were also up and out early and we were all rewarded with good light.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got in late Saturday night. Hope everyone got home safe and sound . Start catching up tomorrow . Now i have my big monitor i can process better

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I helped Terry edit those this morning when she got back. She scored big time with the great light this morning. I tried to get up and go but my body said no way. Damn I missed it.

David K

Workshop Member
Finally got back to my desktop computer where I can process some of the images I took. What a difference an additional 8GB of RAM makes... the 2GB I have in my laptop is no match for the files from these MF backs. I shot the sunrise with Terry, Bob, and Lance and the light really was special... This one may be a bit warm but it's the the way I remember it.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
WoW!! great light and clouds at the Fort. Really makes the everyday view into something special. Carolyn and I left at 5am so we missed it ;but ,we both had a great time and enjoyed meeting the entire group. She is already off to the Apple store to evaluate "Aperture" . I am plugged into the wall socket trying to recharge my dead battery. Roger

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David:

Awesome capture, smart of you to wait for the right light! (I was obviously in too much of a hurry to get up on that roof for a glass of wine :ROTFL:)

Cheers,

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks guys... it really does look print worthy in full rez... think I'll take advantage of that free print for workshop members with this one. The secret to this shot was taking a nap the day before while my friends were sipping wine :)