The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Working Late - a Cautionary Tale

jonoslack

Hi There . . . . Last Thursday I was sitting in my Office around 11.30pm in my nice Herman Miller chair:toocool: (with those armrests so carefully adjusted:thumbup:). Anyway, inexcusably I dozed off for 10 or 15 minutes :sleep006:

When i woke up, my left hand didn't work . . . no pain, it just flapped like a cabbage leaf on the end of a stalk :eek:

I woke the boss, and so we rang NHS direct . . . who said to drive me straight to the nearest Accident & Emergency (16 miles), and that if I should feel sick or become 'unresponsive' then emma should call an ambulance to meet us :shocked::wtf::eek:

Well, we got there at 1am, a sister saw me in less than 5 minutes, and told me that it was almost certainly not a stroke but 'wrist drop' caused by a trapped nerve :bugeyes: but we should wait and check with the doctor (3 hours). . . . . . we got home at 5am, very knackered :sleep006:

Now it's Monday, and I'm just beginning to get a (very little) movement in the left hand - it's probably going to be weeks before it's back to normal again (if you read internet sites it may never recover . . . if you listen to my doctor mates it may be just a day or so).

What did the damage was leaning all my weight on my elbows in my nice comfy chair.

The hand works okay upside down - so I can focus and take pictures, driving isn't too bad if it's strapped up, but touch typing is a nono (this is typed with my right hand touch typing and my left dabbing with a flaccid finger!)

So, all you late owls . . have a care, and don't go to sleep in your chair - especially after a nice supper and a couple of glasses of the good stuff!

Me? I'm just grateful that it wasn't that stroke!

all the best

Knorp

Good Lord, glad you dozed off for only 10 or 15 minutes ... :shocked:
Wish you a speedy recovery, Jono.
And take care will you ?
Kind regards.

Terry

Yikes! Hope you get the movement back soon!
In the mean time might I suggest that "there's an app for that" :p

Dragon Dictation.....although not sure it knows the words for the emoticons or if it "hears" proper English.

tom in mpls

Jono, this is radial nerve palsy, also known as "Saturday night palsy" because it often noted upon waking up after a bender; the arm having been left draped over a chair back. The problem is compression of the radial nerve as it passes around the humerus about 2/3 of the way up from the elbow. I did not know that it could occur in such a short time.

I am concerned for you, as it may take a very long time to recover, and recovery can be incomplete. That you have noted some improvement already is a good sign; I hope recovery is rapid and complete.

Last edited:
. . have a care, and don't go to sleep in your chair....
Well, my last job certainly posed that kind of hazard....:sleep006:

Now, being retired, I can sleep in a far more comfy position :angel:

End of silly jokes. I can readily imagine you did scare the wits out of both yourself and those close to you. Stroke is a grim reality for too many. And obviously you did the right things instead of just trying to ignore the symptoms.

Happy to hear it turned out to be far less serious, although I can see it must be a nuisance right now.

Now, get well a s a p!

Best,

Per

Don Libby

I suffered a head-on accident in my youth and beside breaking everything on my left side also had radial nerve palsy caused by a constructed nerve. The docs went in for yet another operation cleaning up the area of the pinch and within days I got feeling and use of my left hand again. It was also several months before the tingling in my thumb subsided.

That aside - when are you seeing the doctor again?

jonoslack

HI Tom
Jono, this is radial nerve palsy, also known as "Saturday night palsy" because it often noted upon waking up after a bender; the arm having been left draped over a chair back. The problem is compression of the radial nerve as it passes around the humerus about 2/3 of the way up from the elbow. I did not know that it could occur in such a short time.

I am concerned for you, as it may take a very long time to recover, and recovery can be incomplete. That you have noted some improvement already is a good sign; I hope recovery is rapid and complete.
Thanks for your concern!
As you can imagine, I've read everything I can find about it . . . I remember my father talking about it as well. It's also called Honeymoon Palsy.
Actually, in my case the damage is almost certainly not where the nerve passes around the humerus, but where it passes through my elbow, which was pushed against the chair arm, and which had an injury a few years ago falling off a bike.
Interestingly, all the internet sites are gloomy about full recovery, but the doctors I've spoke with are all much more upbeat and unconcerned (we have various friends who are doctors).

It is a very strange feeling though - at first it was entirely impossible to lift my wrist when it was facing down (it felt like trying to waggle your ears!) - now I can get it just above horizontal, and my fingers will grip okay, but the middle two won't lift above the line of my hand.

jonoslack

I suffered a head-on accident in my youth and beside breaking everything on my left side also had radial nerve palsy caused by a constructed nerve. The docs went in for yet another operation cleaning up the area of the pinch and within days I got feeling and use of my left hand again. It was also several months before the tingling in my thumb subsided.

That aside - when are you seeing the doctor again?
Ouch Don - that sounds much nastier. This really doesn't hurt at all, my thumb was a bit numb,but that seems to be returning now.
As for seeing the doctor again - not, unless it doesn't get better in a few weeks

jonoslack

Bart, Per - thank you for the kind words.

If someone says:

Your hand is stuffed for the next few weeks at least

Then you're pretty hacked off . ..

If thy say:

You're having a stroke!
Oh, no you aren't - Your hand is stuffed for the next few weeks at least
Then you feel much better about it!

Yikes! Hope you get the movement back soon!
In the mean time might I suggest that "there's an app for that" :p

Dragon Dictation.....although not sure it knows the words for the emoticons or if it "hears" proper English.
Thanks Terry

Funny that, I downloaded it today - it's pretty good . . . . but not that good!
Anyway, I'm doing well with my floppy digit :ROTFL:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Best wishes for a swift recovery, Jono.

From what you say here you're in a positive state of mind and that counts, too! :)

Ben Rubinstein

I've got a broken wrist at the moment, unspecified 'months' in plaster, if that helps..

I'll take that dangerous chair off your hands though as a sign of my care, I'll even pay the P&P, how's that for concern? :p

jonoslack

Thank you Corlan - it's a bit frustrating, but so many worse things can (and do happen)

I've got a broken wrist at the moment, unspecified 'months' in plaster, if that helps..
I'm sorry - thats much nastier - to be honest Ben I was going for smiles rather than sympathy. There are so many worse things that can happen (like having a stroke).

I'll take that dangerous chair off your hands though as a sign of my care, I'll even pay the P&P, how's that for concern? :p
Perhaps I'll give it another chance :)

Diane B

Thoughts for both of you. Hands, wrists, arms are so important to photography, plus I know how scary that must have been Jono, the not knowing for a bit. Bet Emma was beside herself.

Not the same, but a number of years ago, I found that I had little feeling in the left side of my left hand and little finger and one next to it. Even with my wonderful ergonomic chair I found I was pulling up close to the monitor with my left elbow on my desk, little finger in my mouth as I concentrated very hard, working with my Wacom tablet on commercial jobs. Awful habit and I've broken myself of it and the nerve healed and I was glad it wasn't my right hand. I've always thought it wonderful how the body can heal itself given a chance.

So--be careful in the chair those late nights. And Ben, don't know how you broke your wrist. That's tough for a photographer. Hope you didn't fall while shooting your weddings..

jonoslack

Thoughts for both of you. Hands, wrists, arms are so important to photography, plus I know how scary that must have been Jono, the not knowing for a bit. Bet Emma was beside herself.

Not the same, but a number of years ago, I found that I had little feeling in the left side of my left hand and little finger and one next to it. Even with my wonderful ergonomic chair I found I was pulling up close to the monitor with my left elbow on my desk, little finger in my mouth as I concentrated very hard, working with my Wacom tablet on commercial jobs. Awful habit and I've broken myself of it and the nerve healed and I was glad it wasn't my right hand. I've always thought it wonderful how the body can heal itself given a chance.
Thank you Diane . . I actually have a similar story - numb left thumb and sore neck - my chiropracter (no more) said that it was something to do with chronic ossification with my neck, he could probably help, but I'd need to go for treatment every week and it'd never be completely better.

I got back into the car to go home, and the glove compartment started rattling AGAIN. So I leaned over angrily and gave it a great whack with the flat of my hand (again) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . It only took about three days to be right as rain again after I stopped whacking that glove compartment!

DavidL

Hi Jono. A good lesson in impermanance as the Buddhists say. The universe is obviously trying to tell you something. My interpretation is that your sony outfit is too heavy and you should give it to me. That way you lighten your load physically and karmically. Giving is a very positive thing, honest:angel: I have been wrong in the past but maybe this time, Who knows?:rolleyes:
Really good to here your recovering and it wasn't a stroke. As you were endulging was it the healthy red stuff we darnk or a more spirited tipple. I've been house sitting near Brighton for a week and the bottle of malt I bought with me must have been leaking in the fridge because it's all gone now:shocked:
Bye the bye your old 17-55 just got traded towards a panny micro 4/3ds set up for my microstock work, Nikons are getting heavy and I'm not doing press PR these days mainly just location portraits. A sony 135 would be so good for that, Did I mention sony before:deadhorse:
Take care
David

jonoslack

Hi David
Hi Jono. A good lesson in impermanance as the Buddhists say.
It certainly is, but I'd prefer the lessons to be a bit more gentle!
The universe is obviously trying to tell you something. My interpretation is that your sony outfit is too heavy and you should give it to me. That way you lighten your load physically and karmically. Giving is a very positive thing, honest:angel: I have been wrong in the past but maybe this time, Who knows?:rolleyes:
Dammit . . . I got a Karmic message yesterday to just this effect, and gave all my sony kit to David (the waiter at the Cross Keys down the road) . . . .should it have been for you?
Really good to here your recovering and it wasn't a stroke. As you were endulging was it the healthy red stuff we darnk or a more spirited tipple. I've been house sitting near Brighton for a week and the bottle of malt I bought with me must have been leaking in the fridge because it's all gone now:shocked:
If you've been keeping Malt in the fridge you damn well should be :shocked: I certainly am!
but yes, it was the red stuff

Bye the bye your old 17-55 just got traded towards a panny micro 4/3ds set up for my microstock work, Nikons are getting heavy and I'm not doing press PR these days mainly just location portraits. A sony 135 would be so good for that, Did I mention sony before:deadhorse:
Take care
David
Dammit dammit - if I'd only known it was that David . . . . . :ROTFL:

I hope you're really well . .. if it takes a week to drink a bottle of Malt then you aren't an alcoholic anyway :)

Lovely to hear from you.