The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Knoxville to New York

jlm

Workshop Member
have that drive coming up this friday saturday. anyone have some suggestions for a nice route, things to see?

my timetable is pretty relaxed, could arrive sunday if warranted. I'm picking up a new (used ) car and bringing it home with my 20 year old son

thanks

Scott G

Definitely do Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon, an 11 mile stretch of road with 318 curves - that will certainly get you acquainted with your car! It is just outside of Knoxville, lots of info if you Google it and there a million videos on YouTube. There is also an amazing BBQ place near there whose name escapes me, but ask any local and they will know it.

From there you can drive up through Skyline Drive and see some of the most beautiful scenery around, then hook into 81/78 up through Lehigh Valley into PA, NJ, and NY.

Have fun! I picked up a car in Phoenix last fall and drove it back to Baltimore, it was the best vacation I have had in a long time.

I missed this thread until just now. Sorry. I live near Knoxville and could have helped you out with some recommendations for the southern part of your trip. I hope it is going well for you and your sun.

Mark

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks, made the trip just fine.

let my son drive the new car on the dragon, then on to asheville. ran into considerable construction delays, worked my way back to 81

Glad you made it back. You were lucky wihtnyour timing becasue the dragon has just recently been re-opened after being closed for several months due to a rock slide. I was going to suggest you do the Blue Ridge Parkway up into Virginia. Perhaps that can be another trip - spring or fall would be best for photography.

jlm

Workshop Member
had planned to do the blue ridge from ashville to roanoke, but we were getting bogged down even before ashville; spent 30 minutes stopped due to traffic

did have a corn dog at deals gap