The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your opinion of 3-D (TV, movies, etc.)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A recent article about a group of hollywood movie insiders who are rebelling against the current trend of 3-d movies struck a nerve with me. I find the effect interesting and fun for animation and a few escape films, but really don't want to look at it all the time. And of course the next big thing in flat-screen TVs will be the push to 3D. When I first encountered Plasma back in the CRT days, it was jaw-droppingly better. Eventually I couldn't resist and had to have one. I'm not feeling the same way about the next gen 3D TV and have no interest.

So how do you feel about it? Is it simply an interesting quirk or the wave of the future? Will you pay extra to see a 3D movie in theaters? Are you likely to purchase a 3D TV?

Terry

I with you. I have no real interest.
I did pay extra to see Avatar in 3D but not sure if the extra cost was for 3D or IMAX. The only other recent movie I've seen in 3D was Up but I don't feel like the movie would have worked differently for me if it weren't in 3D.
I have no interest in wearing glasses to watch something at home.

Diane B

I agree with both of you. I saw Avatar in 3D but not Imax--same with Up but I don't plan on seeing any others coming up. I also watched Up on my Ipad while I biked. Quite a difference but still enjoyed it (first streaming one I tried from Netflix, but have watched a number of them now). We have a large TV with sound system that we only watch movies on and I think either of these would be great on it. I have no interest in a 3D---and like Terry don't want to wear 3D glasses at home.

I read the same article and I do hope that directors/producers decide where its appropriate and where not. For most movies I enjoy I would say its inappropriate and I won't pay extra for it (though I admit we watch most movies at home).