The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

After a theft....frustration, anger.

bensonga

For the first time in my life, I've had something stolen from me. A Lowe Pro camera bag containing my Canon 40D, 10-22 EFS, 17-85 EFS and 50m f1.4 lenses. It could have been worse of course, much worse (thank god it wasn't my Hasselblad 503CWD), but for some reason, I always really liked the 40D and those lenses.

In one respect, I have only myself to blame (besides the jerk who stole it). The bag was in the back of my car (Honda CRV) which was parked in my driveway overnight (too many motorcycles in the garage) and I meant to bring it in before going to bed and also checking to be sure the car was locked....well, I didn't. Come morning, my car door was ajar and the bag was gone. I live in what was always considered a relatively crime free neighborhood. Times change I guess, but it does amaze me that people (kids?) are out wandering the streets late at night checking for unlocked cars.

Filed a police report and all that...but I don't expect to see the old 40D again.

Lesson learned....but it sure does piss me off. I'm trying not to let the anger eat away at me. I'm sure I'll get beyond it....but an uneasy feeling of vulnerability and distrust may be with me for quite awhile.

Sorry, I just had to vent and share this experience with folks who I know would understand.

Gary

back alley

anyone remember the opening scene of the movie 'robocop'...i want one of those!

sorry for your (material) loss...i hate thieves and i hope there is a special place in hell for them.

Analog6

What a horrible shock. I am specially careful to bring everything in because my insurance specifically does not cover me if I leave it in the car, locked or not.

Hope the cops catch them but as you say, realistically it is unlikely. At least they didn't trash your car as well.

S

Shani Clinton

So sad to hear.Before 3 months in crowd my husbands wallet was stolen but luck by chance we lost only 10$ cash and nothing else.I really hate thieves.

Shani.

PeterA

Sorry to hear it - however ( looking on the bright side)

this theft PROVES that one just cant have enough cameras (for just in case) :)

AND

allows for replacement with something different if not better?

*always look on the bright side of ...etc :thumbup:

DavidL

Loss always makes you angry-paranoid etc. Your right to not let it eat at you as that just messes up your mind. It's a material thing and so can be replaced, and you never know in the end you'll be so happy with whatever you replace it with the thief may have inadvertently helped you out, photographically.
As has been said it's a sign of the times, even in the wilderness it seems.
David

fotografz

Bummer Gary.

I'm just waiting for it to happen to me while shooting a wedding. A whole bag full of H and Leica stuff. Sometimes thieves work weddings just for that reason.

Insurance in the only real protection, but you have to read the fine print ... trust me on that.

Good thing it wasn't the Hassey ... but then, I'd bet you wouldn't have left THAT in your car overnight : -)

-Marc