The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bet you ten dollars

jonoslack

Why the tears? Does Blue feel ignored?
No - he had cancer, and we had him put down on Wednesday (18th).
He went for a walk first; - a swim, and a roll in something a fox left behind.
Then the vet came in the afternoon, and we took him in State in the Fergie tractor up the field and buried him next to Dixie.
Caspar lay beside him in the back of the tractor for half an hour or so while we drank a bottle of wine.
The idea is to plant a pear tree in the spring, so he can pay back all the pears he stole from the other trees while he was alive. :)

Terry

Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that Blue was sick. In addition to you and Emma, Caspar is going to really miss him as a companion to play with.

darr

Hey Jono,

I do not know you, but I feel your pain. I have five rescues and know the day will come when they will leave our pack for another. God bless Blue and you! The pictures are a wonderful tribute to an obviously beloved friend.

Peace be with you,
Darr

jonoslack

Darr, Vivek
thanks for the condolences
Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize that Blue was sick. In addition to you and Emma, Caspar is going to really miss him as a companion to play with.
Really, no worries.

Flat coats are very prone to cancer - he had had various lumps and bumps over the last couple of years, nothing to slow him down. We didn't intervene, as it usually entails lots of painful treatment to no real end.
He'd been losing weight recently, and was drinking too much and not eating much - the time had come - hopefully we were in time before he really started to suffer.

all the best

Knorp

Hi there Jono,

I'm very sorry for your loss and noway I'm going to bet you because Blue was a good dog indeed.
I remember him as a loyal (well, except for the couple of times he took off with your cameras) and photogenic companion on your many strolls.
Give Caspar a big hug, will you ? He'll feel lonely now.

Take care.

Diane B

So sorry to hear about Blue. I've followed his life and walks with you over the years as well as Dixie-- and now Caspar. I like the idea of planting the pear tree. My last two are under a bean tower in our organic veg garden on their favorite high point on the farm.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jono,

It is apparent that Blue exprienced more love, joy and pleasure in those short eight years shown in your four page gallery than many do in a lifetime.

You have been blessed...

Bob

Very sad news, Jono. Your images of Blue and Caspar made them seem almost like personal friends although I haven´t met either of them in real life.

When our Fredde was 7 months, we lost our older dog Felix (an Irish setter). Fredde and Felix were like father and son, and Fredde missed him very much (like we all did, and do). For almost a year, Fredde kept running towards every Irish setter we met, thinking it was Felix. Moving, and sad.

Jono, I know just how much a pet can become, well, more than a pet and part of the family. I have experienced what you are going through now and, while I don't wish that on anyone, I think its better than not knowing the unconditional loyalty and companionship a dog can bring to its owners. I hope you can take solace in knowing you did what was best for Blue.

Mark

jonoslack

Very sad news, Jono. Your images of Blue and Caspar made them seem almost like personal friends although I haven´t met either of them in real life.

When our Fredde was 7 months, we lost our older dog Felix (an Irish setter). Fredde and Felix were like father and son, and Fredde missed him very much (like we all did, and do). For almost a year, Fredde kept running towards every Irish setter we met, thinking it was Felix. Moving, and sad.
Hi There Per - thanks for the message
Caspar is pretty quiet at the moment, we always try and give the existing dog(s) an hour or so with the body of the old one - basically until they walk away from it. That seems to make them understand that the old dog has gone. Certainly Caspar isn't looking about for him. The same thing seems to work with horses.

Bob and Bob, Mark, Godfrey, Bart, Diane, Tom and Tokengirl
Thank you for your condolences - we're all okay - he had a quality existence, and was always a cheerful happy and healthy dog, you can't expect more than that!

All the best

shtarka1

Very sorry for your loss Jono. They are member's of our family that will stay in our heart's forever. My sincere condolences.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
My condolences...

My two 14-year old beagles are getting up there... But they still check out fine each time at the vet, with good kidney function and blood values. (They're very prone to overfeeding and developing diabetes and cardiovascular problems.) One has a slight heart murmur but nothing the vet thinks needs treatment. I'm going to miss having my bedsheet stolen...