The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NY meet July 17th

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my cell phone is no secret it is on my website below so just copy that down and you can stay in touch.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with backorders, is that by the time the stuff arrives, you might be on to some other kind of gear entirely.:ROTFL:
-bob

Well not sure what I will wind up with here . Backorders do NOT make me very happy at all. I have this itch and it needs to be scratched , this could get really dangerous.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What worries me is that I won't have enough time to gather funds to scoop it up by the time he is ready to move on from this one!

neils

OK I hit a snag. I had sent some images to a gallery in New Haven CT for submission to a show. Well I got an email and it seems I got 2 images in. Great right?

The Opening is the 17th from 5pm to 8pm. Kinda makes NYC and New Haven in one day night tough to pull off. NYC is 40 east of here, New Haven 30 miles west of here.

So here is one of the images. M6/TX/50 'cron. About as basic as a boy can get.

I'll keep you all tuned in.

Neil

Stuart Richardson

Nice shots! And congratulations on getting the images in! For what it's worth, the train from Grand Central to New Haven takes about an hour and forty minutes...it is not entirely out of the question.

Also, where are you? I am getting confused...New Haven is East of NYC, so it is not possible for you to be 40 miles west of NY but 30 miles east of New Haven...is it? I am totally confused.

helenhill

WONDERFUL NEILS..... how COOL is that

well I'm flyin high tooo
My Baby rd1s has RETURNED today....fluent in Japenese & a certified Geisha /I LOVE MR NORIAKI
She Will Perform
and to Celebrate she will be draped in a

Vintage 50mm Elmar 3.5 / from the late 40's
The lens is sooo Tiny,Dainty & chrome Chic

Vintage 90 mm Elmar 3.5 / Shapely Long & Chrome Deco Chic /from the late 40's as well
will make any overblown NIKON :eek: blush with Shame :ROTFL::ROTFL:

and THANK YOU TERRY for lending me the CV 28 xoxox

Wooooo....HAPPINESS:):D

Last edited:

helenhill

My lens pal works at B&H / CSMUNSEY ......an Inspiring Young Photojournalist
We became FAST FRIENDS since he loves to shoot demonstrations

Shall we invite him to the GETDPI event ??

I saw Fab photos he took w/the 50mm retro elmar
Whisper Whisper both those lenses were brought up
from the B&H secret cavern
They were actually on two very old leicas looking for a new home
Best-H

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Excellent Helen! Congrats on having your newest love returned. And very cool to have lenses with the secret basement stash cache'. You might be a good person to go shopping with! ;)

Guy Mancuso

No she would be a dangerous person to shop with. LOL

She has good taste and that would get me in trouble.

Helen so glad your sweetheart has returned back from it's vacation although wearing new cloths. Can't wait to try it

Guy Mancuso

My lens pal works at B&H / CSMUNSEY ......an Inspiring Young Photojournalist
We became FAST FRIENDS since he loves to shoot demonstrations

Shall we invite him to the GETDPI event ??

I saw Fab photos he took w/the 50mm retro elmar
Whisper Whisper both those lenses were brought up
from the B&H secret cavern
They were actually on two very old leicas looking for a new home
Best-H
Fine by me , tell him to sign up here than he will be official too. LOL

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Wow, the Epson Girl has gone vintage! Chrome! Ooh la la!!!
Congrats and I am glad it was a speedy return.

neils

Thanks all,

I'm in Norwalk. NYC is 40 miles west, New Haven 30 miles east. Maybe I can make it all happen.

Here is shot #2. My grandaughter at age 8 doing her hair as if she was 18 and getting ready for a date and yet Rug Rats is on TV. I had a moment of panic!.. Boys? Dates?

I love the way the light sculpts her arms. I went for again, an M with a 50 loaded with TX. Pretty personal shot for me and I'm kinda surprised it was chosen without knowing the back story but that's OK and I'm pleased they did.

I was at the time I did these printing with the BO (black ink only) method. Really makes the grain sing, details are very sharp.

These jpgs aren't getting it across too well. Oh well.

Neil

neils

Thank you Helen. This was a moment I'm glad I caught. She was still at this age completely oblivious to the camera as she'd seen them turned on her since she was 20 minutes old. Now 13 she ducks and runs a bit.

I look at this now and wonder what it would look like print wise if shot digitally today. I've never made a silver print of this but I know what it would look like. But a full digital version? D3? Higher ISO so no motion in the brushing? I like that motion I got at 1/60th at F2. I like a wide open 1979 50mm 'cron look. Today I would print not with the BO method (really helps "mess up" in a nice way a too clean digital shot) but with QTR on one of the new fiber papers like Ilford Gold fiber. I may try that. But the BO prints have air and space to them that I like. But I like it with film more than I like it with digital. BO prints are way to scruffy for many.

A D3 shot would be too clean. I'd add grain even if shot at 6400 which would be a completely different shot. 1/60 led to a happy surprise and some rejects. Auto ISO may have taken me out of that whole possibility. Maybe sometimes I should pretend the D3 is full of TX and it is what it is, shoot at the edge of sensible and maybe get an unexpected twist like I sometimes got with a 75 at 1.4 and 1/30th.

I was just thinking out loud there. It is really about the moment and an old Olympus XA would have sufficed. Just no color please.

Neil

Terry

This needs a bump up....if anyone else is interested, please post here or send me a PM so we can get a good count for lunch.

Terry