The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Local Get-Together Shoot, September 25th!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking it is about time for another Bay Area local photographer's get together when Uwe Steinmueller called me and asked, "Isn't it about time for another get together? How about we do a shoot this time?"

So, here we are! We're thinking it would be fun to meet in San Juan Bautista, just South of Gilroy next Saturday, September 25th at around 10:00 AM. There are several restaurants where we could meet up, and shooting is available in the area both before and after. San Juan Bautista is city around the mission, and the mission grounds are a State Park. Anyway, lots of nice subject matter and a good excuse for a meet location!

Reply here if you're in so we have an approximate head count so we can pick an appropriate sized place to meet up. I'll probably plan on getting there earlier, to catch my preferred early morning light.

San Juan or bust!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here are some details about our meeting in SJB.

Meet 9/25 at 10am at the Vertigo coffee shop (new store with excellent coffee) and nice owners.

http://www.vertigocoffee.com/

We work as volunteers for the SJB State Park and here are some of our picture galleries:

http://outbackphoto.smugmug.com/San-Juan-Bautista

Going into the State Park buildings costs $3 (mission inside $4, different office) . As usual you need a permission to use photos from inside the State Park for commercial work (normal State Park rules).

San Juan features the last remaining Spanish Plaza in California.

The town is nice by itself. All the roosters in town are wild and have right of way :).

Here is our plan:

1. We meet and have some coffee
2. Walk to the Plaza
3. I introduce a bit the State Park
4. All are on themselves and shoot
5. Images from that day I posted here

Hope you like the idea and join us.

Bettina + Uwe

Lisa

Dang, I already have something scheduled that day. It looks interesting enough to make it down there myself some other weekend, though.

Have fun y'all!

Lisa

Terry

I will be there...it just makes Sunday less pleasant with a 6:00AM flight to Orlando (instead of leaving on Saturday). Yuck....the only thing worse is having to take an Orlando to Seattle flight back. Can't get much worse in the continental US.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
I will be there...it just makes Sunday less pleasant with a 6:00AM flight in the AM to Orlando (instead of leaving on Saturday). Yuck....the only thing worse is having to take an Orlando the Seattle flight back. Can't get much worse in the continental US.
And you bring your tech camera, right?

See you there.

Terry

And you bring your tech camera, right?

See you there.
Yup. I will be shooting with the tech camera. Trying to get pretty proficient before the Yosemite workshop a few weeks later so I can move on to getting instruction on the more complex aspects of using tilts and shifts.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
ok, I use the iPhone :)
And will likely be VERY surprised as I was when I saw just how good the iPhone 4 video really is! Pretty amazing considering it is a PHONE for God's sake! :thumbs:

Jack, put me down for San Juan Bautista. I've wanted to shoot that mission for some years, but never got the chance to do it. I should have the Batteries charged up on my new M9 by then, so will be a great first major outing with it for me.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
>how good the iPhone 4 video really is!

But(!) was on a big tripod :).
The test a friend and I shot with the 4 just two days ago knocked the socks off me... I couldn't believe 1080P Video with that quality from a phone, and hand held at that. Times, they are changing fast.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I couldn't believe 1080P Video with that quality from a phone, and hand held at that.

Actually 720p. Yes, this phone is amazing (for a phone). I bring my Zacuto zGrip with me.

Godfrey

Don't think I can make it, Jack, but I'll try.

We're moving the week after, I'm not sure I can get away from packing for a day right then.

jsf

I sure would like to come, but it is a bit of a drive from Sacramento for me, it certainly seems like it will be fun though. Joe

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Thank you Jack, I am looking forward to it. I should have my M9 by then, and intend to really give it a workout!