The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your First Digital Camera

S

starfm

Hi all,

Was just wondering what was your first digital camera? I remember mine was as large as a brick and only had like 2 megapixel, I think it was an HP but not sure, which I could find a picture.

Then I got an Olympus Camedia and now I've got Olympus FE-240 with 5x zoom. It has some battle damage so that one will be replaced next year.

Lisa

I have to fight my Luddite tendencies. I didn't go digital until the Nikon D70. Nice little camera.

Lisa

ustein

Contributing Editor
1995 with a frame of 640x480. 4MB CF card.

Photo taken with it:

Short story: Were the first time in SF in our live. Wanted to charge the camera and switched the cable from notebook with the camera charger. Hosed.

First real digital camera was Nikon Coolpix 950 (1999) and then D1 finally in March 2000.

Our first ever review on the D1

http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/D1_Review/D1_review.html

Shot with the D1 (+ 80-200mm + 2x tele adapter and freehand. ISO 400 and that was noisy).

V

Vivek

I have to fight my Luddite tendencies. I didn't go digital until the Nikon D70. Nice little camera.

Lisa
Almost similar. We had a Canon S20 before that for baby pictures.

I bought the D70 mainly for UV captures and along with it, I was still using an old F2.

The D70 died a BGLOD (blinking green light of death) within an year and I had to get it fixed at cost because Nikon were denying a problem existed with the camera's design (they changed their tunes after that).

It was a great learning experience.

I never trust any reviews (don't bother to even read them) and any camera manufacturer after these experiences.

S

starfm

Kodak DC260 in 1998.

<snip image>
Thanks for posting that, I now remember it was an old Kodak camera! Me and a classmate both bought the same one, it only had 1 megapixel resolution. I also remember both being disappointed and buying a new one within a year.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Canon A95 in 2004. That was a really great camera. I later gave it away to a pretty girl after I bought the Fuji S3, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in use.

It could take photos of pretty girls as well :)

NotXorc

My first digital camera was also my first foray into near-infrared photography: An Olympus C-2020 Zoom (2.1 megapixels). The only modification needed was to place a Hoya R-72 filter over the lens. It gets used on a weekly basis.

Godfrey

It's been a long pull to the present.

- My first digital image processing was done at NASA/JPL in 1984. One 1024x1024 pixel photographic image took approximately $25M worth of computers and 10 hours of processing time to render from an airborne SAR system.

- The first electronic capture camera I owned was a Sony Mavica circa 1989. Not digital but more a "video still" ... but I was able to do image processing on captured files, essentially one field of a television NTSC frame. Quality was poor (at best).

- The first digital camera I owned was an Apple QuickTake (gift from the QuickTake team when I was working at Apple) somewhere around 1994.

- The first digital camera I bought was a clip-on Palm camera, with 640x480 resolution, in and about 1995-1996. Here's a composite photo I made with it, used on my website of that time:

- My second digital camera, in 2002, was a 5Mpixel, JPEG only Sony DSC-707. I have many thousands of photos made with it, quite a few are still called for and sold occasionally.

Boys On The Breakwater - Peel, Isle of Man 2002
Sony DSC-F707

From there, cameras and quality ascended very rapidly.

M

meilicke

Mine was a Sony DSC-707 as well in 2002.

Then I think a canon s35, 4mp (along with a canon Elan II).

Then a kodak 520. What a beast, but really fun. And I could play pong on it. :)

Scott

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My first was a Nikon Coolpix 950, but my first "real" digital camera was the original Canon 1D.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Shot with the D1 (+ 80-200mm + 2x tele adapter and freehand. ISO 400 and that was noisy).

I have a copy of that photo framed and hanging on my wall, and it still looks great ;)

David Schneider

Kodak 520n in 1999, I think, or maybe 1998. It cost me $12,500 at the time. I made $2,000 the first weekend I used it. Of course, it dropped about $3,000 maybe two months after I bought it.

photoSmart42

Sony DSC-P100 for me. I still have it. I bought a bunch of accessories and lenses for it that I used for various purposes, all of which ignited my curiosity for more which led me to the Panasonic G1, my first "DSLR".