The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trumpet playin' (Something totally different)

S

Shelby Lewis

Just thought I'd share...

After 10 years out of music (as an architect/photographer... but made my living as a trumpeter before that), I'm working on a doctorate in trumpet performance. I've just started playing Baroque trumpet... ie, learning to play the music of the baroque period in music (1600-1750ish - Bach/Handel/Vivaldi et al) on a reproduction instrument.

It's a beast. Modern trumpet is much easier :eek:

Just thought you guys who've never met me might like to see short vid of me playing "the beast" in the LSU School of Music lobby late the other night.

Beginning Baroque Trumpet Fun

Stan Lawrence

Definitely has that baroque sound.... as another former musician...(keep thinking about going back for a masters in jazz performance) I can appreciate the desire to play. Nice work.....:cool:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
That's excellent Shelby.
Interesting instrument with a fantastic sound.
Wonderful music, beautiful scales and you obviously master the technique despite the difficult instrument :thumbup:
You only need a page-boy to turn the page :)

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks all... you guys are crackin' me up.

It's so nice to be immersed in the musical world again... feel like I've "come home, again".

Even my photographic pursuits are more enjoyable. Already have several projects in the works (if I can find time outside of practicing the trumpet).

BradleyGibson

Wow, what a great sound!!

BTW, what does it mean to play 'without the holes'? And if it means what I think it means, can you still get all the notes?

S

Shelby Lewis

Wow, what a great sound!!

BTW, what does it mean to play 'without the holes'? And if it means what I think it means, can you still get all the notes?
Thanks Bradley,

Originally, the trumpet was just a length of tubing with no holes anywhere. Modern tuning systems almost require some adjustments to the naturally occurring pitches in a valveless baroque trumpet. The holes (under my right hand in the video) are at nodal points and if uncovered allow notes that are more in tune with modern even tempered scales.

If you are really good, you can play any baroque trumpet part by manipulating any out of tune notes with you lips (embouchure). I actually, as a beginner, have since been banished from using holes, lol... because if you learn to play well without the holes then "holed" playing is a cinch (well, comparitively).

Thanks for lookin'
Shelby

G

GradyPhilpott

Pretty doggone good, if you ask me, considering that the instrument bears little resemblance to the modern trumpet, except that their both long, brass, and bright.

Good luck in your academic pursuits.

I envy your talent and your commitment.