The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I know...crazy question

durrIII

I know this is not photo related, BUT who knows how to run a windows program on an iMac? Can it be done or no?

monza

Yes, check out Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or google BootCamp. Assuming you have an Intel iMac of course. :)

T

tokengirl

I am running Windows on a new MacBook Pro right now, using Boot Camp. Works perfectly (though it is painful to see that ugly Windows logo pop up on your Mac's screen :D).

jonoslack

Hi There
We run a software development company . . . . for windows (largely).
We don't have any PC's - everyone uses macs.
Having tried the different options:
boot camp
parallels
VMware fusion.

I would recommend that you use VMware - it's really robust and reliable, much much less hassle than running boot camp (where you have to restart your mac each time you want to run windows).

All you need is a copy of VMware, and an OEM version of Windows to install. It takes about 25 minutes, it's really really simple, and it really really works.

Having started VMware, you can treat your Windows applications pretty much the same way as mac ones - they'll exist in your task bar, you can exchange data between OsX and Windows.

Simple and good!

monza

Yes, that's what I have used for quite a while, highly recommended. :) I tried Parallels early on, but VMWare was better; although that may have changed in the interim, I have stuck with VMWare.

M

meilicke

I use both parallels and fusion (vmware). They both work well, and tend to leapfrog each other. My current favorite is parallels 6. It seems faster than fusion (no data to back that up), and their coherence mode is faster I think. Also, you can assign an odd number of CPUs to your VM (surely a specialty need, but I appreciate it).

Surely fusion will jump ahead with the next release, and so on. They are both mature products, and I think cannot go wrong with either one.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am another vmware fusion happy customer.
I love the ability to use canned os images of almost any type.
-bob