The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking Back, a year w/o camera :-( (self rant)

sagar

Well last year (aka 2010) I wasted most of the time in trying out different cameras, pixel peeps, gear and brand talk and what not. (You know what I mean) Result, my photography was at bottom. Don't think I have taken even 10 real good pics in the entire year, as I was too busy finding an ideal camera. I remember couple of folks here hinting me to post a pic than asking and talking. (with all good intentions)

Moreover any camera I tried, I found a fault and why its not suitable for me; eventually selling/returning it and buying new one. Probably I god addicted to it :banghead: What Cameras I tried? Well here is the list of what I remember 40D, K7, K-r, D3000, G1, E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1, GF1, GXR, GRD III, E-620, E30. Overall I think I must have lost $500-$700 in resell and returns.

Finally on New Year's eve I decided to "finalize" swearing I will not sell my last purchase of 2010 at least untill 2012. That's my new year resolution and I bought Ricoh GRD III and Nikon D3100. Yesterday was the first day I went out for real shooting and here is the first picture. I know its not a great street picture anyway, but it got me back to my roots (street photography). Taken with GRD III.

Sorry for my self rant, trust me, I am feeling much better now :clap:

Terry

Good luck!
I enjoyed doing a picture a day on blipfoto. Check it out blipfoto.com really gets you to work on your photography.

bensonga

40D......that's a good camera. Mine was stolen. Looking back over the past few years, many of my best images were taken with that camera, mostly because it's the one I had with me. I'm convinced now that, for most of us, any decent camera is capable of taking images we will be happy with for years to come. I, like you, have gone down that road of searching for the perfect camera. I've decided none of them are perfect, but most of them are very good and fun to use anyways.

Happy New Year Sagar......and I hope that in 2011 (and 2012), you make lots of terrific images with that GRDIII and D3100!

Hmmm....I've been thinking a GRDIII is just what I need too. Surely there is some small niche in my current collection that the GRDIII could fill. :)

Gary

.... any camera I tried, I found a fault and why its not suitable for me; eventually selling/returning it and buying new one.....
Sagar, this rings a bell (no, a whole carillon...) with me... While I didn´t go through even half as many ´compromise cameras´ as you did, and the process took several years, I recognise that final feeling of failure when yet another camera failed to deliver. In the end, I kept returning to my Leica Digilux 2, but even that one had some serious shortcomings.

So, I decided to take the big step: I ordered a M9, and finally got it last February. No looking back...:thumbs:

It can´t do everything I was used to: closeups, long lenses & c, but it redefined photography for me. While I can´t always choose the ´obvious´ image to express my reaction, it makes me look for other, less obvious but often better solutions.

And it makes me happy! Happy to carry so little, happy to shoot with a real ´zen´ set of tools, and extremely happy when seeing the best shots in their final form.

So for me, 2010 in some way became my first year with a camera when I didn´t even think of buying anything else....:angel:

BTW, thanx to Terry for the blipfoto tip! I´ll try it.

C

Cfoord

I would die if I go without taking a photo a day. I used to have a basic happy-snappy 8mp Sony camera, and I used it at least once a day. Finally my new baby is on its way in the mail and I can start taking higher quality pics. Cant wait. If you have time, show me what your D3100 can do :)
Fisrt time i hear about blip.. Looks great, signed up :) Thnx!