The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The camera you'll never have !

sinwen

Imagine the shape of an Hasselblad 500…. mirrorless, with a 36mmx36mm sensor, an M mount, the VF glass being replaced by the screen every camera has today, but here light protected by the collapsible VF frame. Then you should have a very simple, very cheap big sensor camera in a small package, with an infinite number of the best lenses ever produced.

But nobody will produce it !
All the best
Michel

Bugleone

I remember posting almost this same 'spec' on another photo site almost four years ago! I was treated with derision and scorn! I specifically wanted a square sensor, 25mm x 25mm,....full sensor file in RAW,...JPEGS either horiz. or vert. by means of thumb pressure switch,...detachable EVF with remote facility,.....optical vf option with programmable frame lines,.....tilt/shift unit...etc

Such a system would sell big because many pro and semi pro people would be interested.

The camera makers, being super conservative, will never make one,...however, eventually the electronics companies will increasingly think out of the box, as they are starting to do.

The black plastic SLR is now about 30 years old (T90 1980 ?)...I never thought that they would still be pushing such an outdated item albeit with a sensor, all these years later.

sinwen

I posted the idea on Dpreview, I almost get insulted. This camera is made of existing product except for the box. A led screen is cheaper than an EVF, you get it on every single camera, the sensor isn't one of the bigger one it is just a FF equivalent but square, and that's about it, so it seems there is no conception headache.
At the end you get a large sensor with hundred of existing lenses, a great and cheap VF protected from light by a simple mechanical folding system existing since Rollei and Hassy glory, the all lot into a compact shell.
To me it's a no brainer.