The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting from a boat curiosity

danielmoore

Can someone tell me about the logistics of shooting from a large boat as in the Antarctic workshop tours?
I see lots of low light images and wonder how it's possible, what sorts of shutter speeds one could hope for at best? No plans, but doesn't hurt to be prepared.

clay stewart

Alas Maties, it's just like shootin any place else on Planet Earth. If it's cloudy, you'll have a slower shutter speed. I doubt you'll be using yer tripods, on board unless the Capt. drops the hook in a protected bay though. When yur running at sea you have to time the waves to keep from getting jarred, unless it's really calm. if the seas are twenty foot or more, you're liable to do more pukin than picture taking, but if you can keep an eye on the bow of the ship, you can even get shots then if you time it before or just after you hit the big waves, assuming your running into the wind, if not, then Gawd help ya.:angel:

clay stewart

All kidding aside, all my experience is with ships 200 ft and smaller and the problem I found with a tripod was not only the vibrations from the engines, generators and props, but also, as the ship rolls with the seas, you have to try and keep the horizon straight in the viewfinder, which means you pretty much have to hand hold and adjust accordingly, otherwise you'll get crooked horizons.:)

danielmoore

Sounds like a recipe for pure frustration. If anyone can point to a blog or writeup of someone's experience on one of these voyages that'd be helpful too.