The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestions for organising/filing photos on a PC?

vincechu

Hi everyone,

Firstly I wasn't sure where to ask this so picked here.

I was just looking at all the photos and files of photos on my computer... and what a mess! They're everywhere and completely unorganised, so I've decided to get it all tidied.

Problem is I'm not sure how to go about arranging everything in a easy to find, logical manner, so I'm basically looking for suggestions from everyone.

Currently I think one big folder holding everything (backed up of course), containing smaller dated folders, the names of the smaller folders containing the date (in the format yyyy.mm.dd because it should help searching for photos) and a title/name of event for example: "10.12.25 Christmas Day". Then perhaps subfolders with RAWs and procossed jpegs inside?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Godfrey

I documented my file organization schema and posted it to my articles page for download some time ago:

http://www.gdgphoto.com/articles - click on "07 - Image File Organization and Naming Notes"

While not perfect, it works pretty well for me. While not dependent on Lightroom, using it with Lightroom keeps things nicely organized on disk and easy to add to or backup as needed.

vincechu

Thanks Godfrey, seems like you've answered my question very well. I've just read the article and it sounds right for me as I use Lightroom. I think I'll also take a look at the other articles too because I'm quite new to digital photography and so have a lot to learn about using my computer for my photography needs.

Many thanks,