The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Default Theft and liability insurance for wedding photographers - PPA?

haring

Did you hear about the Liability and Theft insurance offered through Professional Photographer of America (PPA)?
Can you recommend it? I would like to have theft and liability.
Would I participate in the insurance program automatically once I become a member or I have to pay for it extra? I am a little bit confused? Please advise!

Thanks! Priscilla

kdphotography

On your application for membership, if you designate "weddings" on your profile, your fees will increase slightly to cover "errors and omissions" ---this this is not the same as business liability or property insurance. PPA offers commercial liability and property insurance through insurance companies, which insure PPA members at preferred rates. This is extra----and something every professional should have.

kdphotography

Liability insurance is generally not too much. Some wedding venues/commercial venues will require a minimum coverage amount, and require being added as a named insured. Not difficult.

Cost of theft insurance varies according to your equipment and type of replacement coverage. If you belong to the medium format dante's inferno, and something happens to your MFDB, usually you just see grown men curl up and cry regardless of insurance coverage..... :ROTFL:

fotografz

Hi Priscilla,

I have full coverage through Inland Marine called "Portrait Studio."

It is way to expensive now that business has dwindled from the economic down turn. Their rate for coverage of gear items over $5,000. is pretty high.

Please share anything you learn here, I'd be very interested.

-Marc