The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sad about GetDpi (a personal lament)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Than I would just merge Leica and that would take that slot without doing anything else. Okay i think i got it now

Terry

Interesting about the photo threads....I have so many cameras I can usually post anywhere. I know we ran into where should we post when we were in San Juan because there were so many different brands being used....however, I find that I like to look at all the different forums. I learn things about photography in the Canon and 4/3rds forum but that is just me.

Perhaps leave the threads "fun with Nikon", "fun with M8", etc. where they are but making a forum where anyone can serve up a topic.....Post your best lightning shot, rainbow, street, etc. I will give this more thought and try to articulate why on LUF I never went to the image sections.

Guy Mancuso

I know that is my worry Terry . I never went there and did not believe in not posting images in threads , one reason this place was born was for that reason. i like images everywhere myself. I don't want to look for them

The fun with X camera will not go away . Love those threads

Dale Allyn

Guy, I was thinking of a kind of "shared images" or "recent results" or "recent work" kind of section. And yes, the OP would set the tone of a particular thread. Maybe it would just be her/his results from something s/he was working on. Maybe someone would want to start a thread where others would be encouraged to post images of "people at work"; or "Show your best wedding shot" or whatever.

I was hoping to keep it simple for you guys, while hopefully removing some of the separation that I was feeling among the sections.

It's all good...

Edit to add: I agree with Terry et al, the photo threads in the sections are great too. They work because they are specific to a brand, or even a brand's lens. But there a lots of ways to share seascapes, or macros or whatever which could come from any and all of the members.

Guy Mancuso

Well we do encourage to post anywhere and I mean anywhere. You can put MF shots in a Nikon thread or anything you want really no one here will stop that. I do it all the time. I think folks set up there threads to be specifically in a Nikon thread with Nikon lens, This is what folks are used to doing but they don't have too. We are very open about that stuff. I really have no issue if someone starts a macro thread in the Nikon section and someone posts some macro M8 shots in there. maybe folks feel they can't do that, I don't know but they can . No handcuffs from me, we are a open forum and really the only rule is respect each other. Other than that you can do what you want pretty much. But i do understand what you are saying. Now we do have a gallery section and could even start image threads there I think. We would have to make some back end changes so all could post to a gallery of images. Something jack has to figure out so not sure

Dale Allyn

boo hoo. where would my somewhat abstract navy yard stuff go?
I'm not sure what others are envisioning, but I am thinking that you would start a thread to show some of your great images from the navy yard. Or you might choose to add them to an existing thread where they might "fit" for any number of reasons, i.e. an "abstract" thread, an "industrial shots" thread, etc.

BradleyGibson

As one of the members who contributes regularly to the MF forum, and as a new member here, I cannot speak for the changes in GetDPI, but I can say that this forum is one of the kindest and most welcoming places online.

It's why I contribute and try to add to a civil and respectful environment.

I wish I had a Leica M8 or some other items but unfortunately I don't--there's not much of value I can add there. But I agree with the sentiment expressed by others--give it some time. Many folks are away or out enjoying with the sunshine.

With such a great community I can't imagine anything but a bright future for this group as a whole.

Warmest regards,
Brad

Terry

Well we do encourage to post anywhere and I mean anywhere. You can put MF shots in a Nikon thread or anything you want really no one here will stop that. I do it all the time. I think folks set up there threads to be specifically in a Nikon thread with Nikon lens, This is what folks are used to doing but they don't have too. We are very open about that stuff. I really have no issue if someone starts a macro thread in the Nikon section and someone posts some macro M8 shots in there. maybe folks feel they can't do that, I don't know but they can . No handcuffs from me, we are a open forum and really the only rule is respect each other. Other than that you can do what you want pretty much. But i do understand what you are saying. Now we do have a gallery section and could even start image threads there I think. We would have to make some back end changes so all could post to a gallery of images. Something jack has to figure out so not sure
Well there is a good example....there was an M8 bokeh thread started and those who felt bad about posting non M8 shots on that thread but thought it was an interesting topic started the thread on the other camera forum for non M8 bokeh shots.....

Terry

Oh and by the way ..... the fact that we are now on page three of this thread in short order shows that this is a vibrant community!

Dale Allyn

Bokeh, is a great example of a shared brand thread topic, Terry. I think most of us like to see the results from all sorts of camera and lens combos.

None of this should cause people to resist posting images in the branded or sensor size sections. Just another way to connect people and the craft.

Guy Mancuso

They did not have to do that as far as we are concerned, could have posted images from other camera's as well. i always say if something comes up in a thread that is good than just run with it, Same here. We are not brand sensitive. Hell most of us have 4 different systems like you Terry with all your little P&S . The only thing I think folks should do is mark the post with brand and lens. This just helps others see what other gear does but that would be the only reason and it is a a suggestion for other members

Guy Mancuso

Bokeh, is a great example of a shared brand thread topic, Terry. I think most of us like to see the results from all sorts of camera and lens combos.

None of this should cause people to resist posting images in the branded or sensor size sections. Just another way to connect people and the craft.
We posted the same time but exactly correct. I like to get away from the brands myself with images the tech threads are branded as they should be in different sections but images if some starts a M8 thread on people shots please don't feel you can't post there with other camera's . i do like the ID though of camera just for reference for the members. really no rules on this. Folks you are dealing with Jack and Guy on the rules , we make them and it is really easy don't be a ass and never a issue.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Dale Allyn

Guy, I think you've made your position pretty clear about allowing people to cross the brand section lines with photos, and I thank you for emphasizing it here. I suspect that even though you are good with it, members would hesitate to jump into a Nikon or Leica bokeh thread with a Canon shot, unless the thread was started with that in mind. At least I would not. My fear would be that my Canon post would be off topic, or disrespectful to those enjoying the brand specific thread on bokeh. It's meant as a forum courtesy, if you know what I mean.

Edit: we simul-posted again. :) I think it's great if people co-mingle image posts, if participants are not irritated by it. I know that I would not be bothered if it was a thread that I started, but I wouldn't want to annoy someone else.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I know exactly what you mean Dale and here is where some common sense from members comes in. I think almost everyone on this forum that posts are some of the best folks around, i mean that sincerely. One reason we are not so focused on a spot or place is folks will do what they think makes sense, gotta love folks for that and thank them. Honestly if things get out of control we are moderated very well here also. Jack, Mike, Jim and I are almost always on board except at sleep hours and we would send someone a note if they posted 30 images from a Nikon in a M8 thread all at once, maybe that is beyond the common sense equation. But we can always talk to a member via PM too. Believe me no one has been in any kind of trouble for this stuff. To get banned from this forum you have to be really bad and that number is a lot lower than folks think. Maybe not even a count on one hand, not counting the spammers the get the boot within minutes.

D

dlew308

I found this forum as I was reading up on MFD. I saw Guy's postings all over and remember how much I liked his threads from FM, so figured this forum was "cool" :)
I'm a Nikon user and hoping to someday shoot MFD. I've only shoot with a SQ-A in film a couple of years ago, I miss MF.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Well there are always those who have to take the opposite side, so here goes. As one of the forum's "lurkers" who seldom posts at all and never posts images I feel a bit guilty even stating this opinion. However I personally enjoy looking at the images on the LUF and enjoy the way it is organized. I don't have to look through long winded threads "hoping" to find images. There they are....Nature, Landscape, People, etc. etc. Enjoy seeing the camera and lens used and all the data as well. I have NO problem with images inside of threads, but feel like many of those are there for technical discussion, interpretation etc. which I also enjoy as I'm always learning something. Hell, the LF area inspired to me go out and buy an Ebony etc. and shoot my first ever frames a couple of weeks ago !! Had a blast and enjoyed the slow, thoughtful nature of LF.

Also congrats to Jack and Guy again for running a great, adult (?), civilized forum for learning and interacting. Therefore, whatever you decide to do with images, I will be looking ! Hope to meet many of you at a workshop near you soon !! :D "Someone" will surely be putting one on !:ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Just my two cents,

Jim

PS Guy, as to why more don't participate, I'll reiterate what you, Jack and I have talked about previoiusly. I believe many, including ME (being totally NON technical), are a bit intimidated be all the experienced, technical and wise folks on here and feel that some questions/statements are stupid and/or could be ridiculed. I know, I know, there are NO stupid questions......BUT ! Perhaps one day I'll GET OVER IT !! :LOL: