The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sad about GetDpi (a personal lament)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, when Jim comes out of the woodwork to post, it's definitely time for me to comment! ( :) )

There are about 6 issues, but the main ones IMO are:

1) Keeping the front page trim, and this dictates limiting the total number of forum headers;

2) Keeping the threads organized enough so content is easily found, but not overly restrictive as to topic, and I think we have this pretty well under control now;

3) Pleasing EVERYBODY with the layout and structure, and of course this will never happen :ROTFL:

4) Finally, we already have an "Image Review and Critique" forum that hardly gets used! Why not post any dedicated topical image threads there? If you don't want a comment, just say "I don't want feedback, just sharing an image." I can even change the title to something like the "Image Sharing, Review and Critique or Not" forum.

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Just take the critique work off the name just something like Images on parade or
Topical image threads.
I had a blast posting my China shots in travel destinations, so I think that is the sort of thing that might happen. [ OKOK, so I overloaded the server sorry ]
But anyway I love the "fun images threads and the out-takes threads, and all of those so just let them pour in as far as I am concerned.
I think this is a lovely place, don't mess too much with it.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That'd be fine Bob except we had requests for an image critique section and why we started that forum to begin with!!! Again, therein lies the problem, keeping everybody happy. Now it is a general image sharing section with an option to ask for critique if you want it. Sound good enough as a starting point?

jlm

Workshop Member
the only reason i go back to FM is the Alternative Image thread; a catch-all, it serves as a good example. Although it used to have some sort of page turning requirement if it wasn't viewed enough

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Jack,

That's why YOU get the big dollars !! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: I like your idea. Keep it clean and simple. :thumbs: Thanks for the high praise also :rolleyes:

I'll be lurking :bugeyes:

Jim

jonoslack

Guy, as to why more don't participate, I'll reiterate what you, Jack and I have talked about previoiusly. I believe many, including ME (being totally NON technical), are a bit intimidated be all the experienced, technical and wise folks on here and feel that some questions/statements are stupid and/or could be ridiculed. I know, I know, there are NO stupid questions......BUT ! Perhaps one day I'll GET OVER IT !! :LOL:
You should be ashamed of yourself - if fools like me can chip in, then everybody can!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jim we love ya and you can ask any question any time you want and BTW i am the biggest dummy here so no worries. LOL

Jack I think we merge the Leica R and M than we are able to keep the critique forum than add the Topical image or theme forum whatever you want to name it. That way no confusion if you want to get criqued you can and if you just want to kill our server you can do that to. Just me idea and can be out voted . Okay gotta run and go shoot in a 112 degree heat for the next 4 hours. If i don't come back Jim gets my Alpa:D:D:D

Gotta shoot a Nuclear blast the next 2 days. Okay a fake one but will be cool. The real test for MF

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy:

I think critiques should be left merged for now since they get hardly any action. Also, can always be linked directly to an image loaded in our gallery -- it's free to everyone -- then folks can comment specifically right under the image where it's hosted...

Hence I think for now let's leave M and R separate, at least until after we hear from Photokina...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If you are going to leave R and M separate, why not change M8 to rangefinder specific? There has been a lot of renewed interest in the R-D1 and some shoot film M's. The Epson girls and boys can join right in.:thumbup:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
I could NEVER live in that heat, or was it just too close to your simulated A-Bomb ground zero?
-bob

Terry

I lied 119
The good news is that there is only one week left in June which to me is the hottest month because the monsoons haven't started. No matter how hard you try to dampen my enthusiasm, I still want to live out there full time!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well my dear you know i would love to have you as a neighbor but It is hot as hell. Seriously air temp was 119 and than on top of that I was working in a parking lot with Asphalt. The good thing is there where maybe 100 firefighters there setting up emergency tents for a dirty bomb exercise tomorrow at Arizona State University. All local fire and police and hospitals in the area are involved plus 100's of ASU students as victims. Actually hate to say it hope we never truly need it but very smart to plan for stuff like this. I am sure most major cites do the same training in the US.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The reason I get employed by the BBC to do radio presenters is because they like the candid work I do in natural lighting - with people moving around fast in changing light.
SNIP
I need the kit which is going to get me the best image, not the best quality image :)
Well said Jono!

I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind for anyone choosing equipment: pick the best tool for the job at hand.

For me on landscape and product, it's the MF outfit. (Used to be large format film or scanning back.) For travel and street, it's the M8's. If I still shot sports and wildlife, it would be one of the newer DSLR's. Finally, for family vacations and my "with me all the time camera," I love the GRD2 :)

Horses for courses,

helenhill

If you are going to leave R and M separate, why not change M8 to rangefinder specific? There has been a lot of renewed interest in the R-D1 and some shoot film M's. The Epson girls and boys can join right in.:thumbup:
Well personally I think its an M8 International Sabotage Conspiracy Against The Epson Girls......
You see Cam is restricted to use her RD1s till Fall because of recent Arm Surgery & the Doctor's Orders & my RD1s back in Japan for Repairs
TRES SUSPECT........:ROTFL::ROTFL:
You Will NOT Succeed in Stomping Us Out!! :ROTFL:

THANK YOU CINDY for uncovering the Plot

:DHelen

Last edited: