The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sad about GetDpi (a personal lament)

Terry

Well personally I think its an M8 International Sabotage Conspiracy Against The Epson Girls......
You see Cam is restricted to use her RD1s till Fall because of recent Arm Surgery & the Doctor's Orders & my RD1s back in Japan for Repairs
TRES SUSPECT........:ROTFL::ROTFL:
You Will NOT Succeed in Stomping Us Out!! :ROTFL:

:DHelen
So, next you will have me order an R-D1 to make me neutral (M8 plus R-D1 owner)......I'm not sure if mine would be a boy or girl :ROTFL:

It is a sexy little thing. I like when the dials wake up.

helenhill

Aren't we filming an episode in NY on July 17?
-bob
I will come Prepared with a bullet proof vest in case of an assassination attempt.......M8 People are Devious:ROTFL:

and YES my Darlin Terry you are expected to Join
(we need more Recruits:clap:)
Cheers! h

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Does it come with a free membership in the dead camera society?
-bob

helenhill

Yes I Agree ....Typical M8 Smut Propaganda......
and now Jono is being wooed by the MF league
but I see you might be coming over to OUR side .....hehehe
I'm not sure Terry if you can be trusted after out last Meeting together
Your Character Assassination with your Fisheye Lens

REVENGE is near ...I am attaching my Fisheye Lens for the Next meeting...and its WAR

John Le Carre would have a field day here /Spy AGAINST Spy
:clap:

jonoslack

and now Jono is being wooed by the MF league
Hey - but they are getting NOWHERE! I'm more likely to buy one of them epsons
but I see you might be coming over to OUR side .....hehehe
I'm not sure Terry if you can be trusted after out last Meeting together
Your Character Assassination with your Fisheye Lens

REVENGE is near ...I am attaching my Fisheye Lens for the Next meeting...and its WAR

John Le Carre would have a field day here /Spy AGAINST Spy
:clap:
Absolutely - shall I nip over and ask him if he'd like to buy in?

Terry . .. are you going to buy an Epson?

Terry

Hey - but they are getting NOWHERE! I'm more likely to buy one of them epsons

Absolutely - shall I nip over and ask him if he'd like to buy in?

Terry . .. are you going to buy an Epson?
No Jono - in a moment of insanity I'm actually being sensible and rational. I'm waiting for two things:

1. July 1 if Nikon sticks the current D3 sensor in a D300 body, I'm all over it and will upgrade from the D300.

2. Photokina if Leica gives us a CL type camera with a great lens, GRD2 type control with a nice big juicy sensor again, I'm all over it. (A DP1 with real controls and a non Foveon sensor is another way to put it). If it took M lenses WOW!

Until then I may go for a Nikon 85 f1.8.....smaller and lighter and half the price for the half stop difference.

cam

Does it come with a free membership in the dead camera society?
-bob
i am sure that this was meant to be cute, but it's only just.

and excuse me for bringing this back to seriousness, but... it's at the core of why this forum is not the same as when it started. at least for me...

as is the departure of they who shall not be named. most notably:

Maggie.

okay. a lot of us did not feel quite as strongly as Maggie about the base sexism of a certain thread. that doesn't mean that there wasn't any validity to her point of view, not that she should have been LOL'ed in response. if it had been me and i'd felt so strongly, i would have asked how much money those husbands had spent on Luigi cases, camera cases, and other frou-frou stuff for their manly camera gear.

as it stands i'm proud to say i would happily own both Leica Luxes and Louboutins. regardless, Maggie was thought overly sensitive and belittled for her feelings. the same nature that drove her away from here is what brought such vibrancy and joy to many of her posts. her generosity and inquisitiveness was huge and we all benefited. she is sorely, sorely missed!

Mitch.

Mitch brought a load of us small sensor users on the board here and, frankly, it hasn't been the same since he stopped posting there. when he made the move to Nikon, many (myself included) followed him there to see how he got on. how did he get on? he was shat upon, plain and simple. that one thread, IMO, more than any other, changed the face of this forum. i was appalled by the criticism, finding it mean-spirited rather than constructive.

it made me loathe to share my work here as my images fall much more into the spirit of Mitch's than many other pixel-peeping static work here that is so praised. i'm not ragging against those perfectionists as i do quite admire the skill and precision needed to take them. frankly, though, they're not my cup of tea. i want motion, emotion, and imperfection. i want to feel something! but that's me and, obviously i am in the minority. but why bother putting my images up when i knew they would be derided?

back to Mitch. even though he may have been more than a bit full of himself in many's eyes, Mitch was very generous to us starting out with small sensors. be it shooting techniques or post-processing or whatnot. he was an invaluable resource and his voice is missed as are his photos. he had a style that i never tired of looking at.

Sean.

last but not least, Sean. Sean brought many people here and it was amazing to have him as a resource. i really don't think i need to say more as his lack of presence here speaks volumes. my biggest regret is that all of his posts were deleted. i am guessing that it was by his choice. if only i had known, i would have copied many of his threads as they were so insightful. i am frustrated that i can't refer back, but c'est la vie.

perhaps we will get more strong presences in the future, but these three will never be replaced.

maybe now people will think twice before dumping on others or ridiculing their sensitivities. a little more respect is in order, rather than some blatant belittling that goes on frequently.

this isn't to say i'm going away. although i many times feel like a second-class citizen here, i've got a very thick skin. and i have found some very warm and generous spirits here that i treasure. i would not have met them if it hadn't been for this forum and for that i am forever grateful.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Cam:

Allow me to make one thing perfectly clear. Sean's posts were not deleted, they were hidden from public view per his request. If Sean had been able to agree to participate here according to the same rules as everybody else, he'd still be here -- but he couldn't, so he isn't. Moreover, if he ever has a change of heart on that front, he would be welcomed back and his historical posts can be re-instated. I'm not going to go into any more detail than that, but please understand that the ball in his court, not ours...

As re Mitch, I don't know why he left, but can only assume because of Sean's decision. And I miss him too and wish he'd decide to come back as he brought an awful lot to our forum.

As re Maggie, the sexism thread was unfortunate and we're sorry her feelings got hurt before we got to it. Again, I wish she could get over that and return to post here as her posts added to our forum as well.

However at the end of the day, all Guy and I can do is create an environment that works for the benefit of the entire group (not just a few individuals) and hope folks find those rules and format to their liking and agree to participate according to them. IOW, we can only provide the watering hole, whether or not they're going to drink from it is up to them...

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Folks as i said early don't assume anything because you have no clue on the real truth in these matters and there private were they will stay. So if you believe we are the bad guys fine and if that is what you believe than not a damn thing I can do about changing you mind. Jack and My job as the owners is to take the hit and protect even the folks that are not here or don't deserve to be here , we are not out to hurt anyones reputations but in the process we become the jerks. Not sure what the hell anyone wants me to say on this stuff but I know one thing i sleep with a clear concise.

cam

Jack, Guy,

i never accused either of you of being bad guys. you have both been very nice to me. i even stated that i felt Sean's missing posts where his own choice -- not yours. i was simply voicing what others have been afraid to (though i'm not saying their thoughts are exactly mine). i do not find you negative at all. however, sometimes feelings are genuinely hurt or people are downright rude here and it's all laughed away. it is very easy to misconstrue intentions on the internet...

i held my voice on a thread i found quite stupid and rude about a certain style of photography i love and believe to be valid because i wanted to keep the bonhomie that is often found here (and for which i applaud you both). however, one touch of criticism and hackles are raised. especially yours, Guy.

my apologies. i guess it's time for me to step away for awhile as well.

Guy Mancuso

No there is no need to step away , this is just a very sore subject for me and it frankly makes me a little mad with what happened and i can't explain it and don't want to talk about it. I'm sorry if that is elusive or seems rude it is just best for me and the forum. This subject is just off limits to me, hope you understand this was very a serious issues and some actions and members on this forum still insist it is all me which is wrong but i will not defend myself in public. If I am the ass on this one than i am. Honestly i don't know what else to do , but I am the friendliest person you will ever meet until the line in the sand in crossed. All I am saying is don't judge the book by it's cover which many have done on this subject.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Cam,
I did not intend to offend and if I did I applogise.
Having a charter membership in that same club I renewed my
membership early this year when I destroyed my M8.
-bob

helenhill

CAM

Don't Leave

I CAN'T BE THE ONLY EPSON GIRL

:cry::cry::cry:

does everyone have to take their ball & Go Home ....Damn it

I'm beginning to think my sense of humor is too whacked and things have Escalated (again)..... Sorry All

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Cam:

I must be terribly naive. I have witnessed some spirited, even difficult discussions here, but I don't feel comfortable with your statement I've quoted below.

maybe now people will think twice before dumping on others or ridiculing their sensitivities. a little more respect is in order, rather than some blatant belittling that goes on frequently.
I miss Maggie too and hope she returns. As for Sean and Mitch, my experience/perception is different from yours. Plus, this forum is not the only forum in which controversial discussions have been generated around their posts.

This is a pretty safe place. It is however, populated by humans. And humans are not error free. Especially here, when body language and other signals of intent are invisible, it's important to be tolerant. Even when mistakes are made. By anyone.

Best,
Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Cam:

Never took it that you were thinking us the bad guys. I did take it that you (and probably others) want more data on what happened to help with closure, and why I chose to mete out a the extra bit I did. If Guy sounded defensive it's because it is a sore spot for us and we would like to put it behind us and move on -- we tried to make it work... Bottom line is we want to accommodate everybody and in doing so we will not be bullied into granting special favors to certain people over others.

Hope that helps put this to bed,

cam

it does -- and thank you, Jack.

i just have one more thing to say and that is to publicly apologise to Bob. i used his comment to illustrate how things can be misconstrued on the internet, especially if the one reading it is in a mood. had we been face to face, i most likely would have laughed and then swatted him. i'm sorry, Bob.

A

asabet

I had no idea about any of this :confused:. I just assumed that Mitch, Sean, and Maggie were busy or traveling.

Guy Mancuso

it does -- and thank you, Jack.

i just have one more thing to say and that is to publicly apologise to Bob. i used his comment to illustrate how things can be misconstrued on the internet, especially if the one reading it is in a mood. had we been face to face, i most likely would have laughed and then swatted him. i'm sorry, Bob.
Well we have to realize 99 percent of any comments here are really harmless. We joke a lot and sometimes it get's misplaced . At this point I think we should close this thread. I think the point has been made. Agree