The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OK, Arizona folks

jonoslack

I figure it takes 9 hours to get to an airport, find parking and finally get through security so I'm ahead of the game by driving :ROTFL:
Tell me about it Don - I go to Holland a lot . . . that's a 35 minute flight from here . . . . BUT that's 2 hours to the airport, 2 hours through security 30 minutes for boarding and take off, 30 minutes flight, 1 hour out of the airport 1 hour on the train 1 hour with the taxi. . . . . driving is bonkers - 400 miles, but it only takes 6 hours, is more relaxing, you can take whatever you want. leave when you want. But that's europe.

I expect it's bollocks, but I once read that as far as greenhouse gases was concerned, it would be 'greener' if each passenger on a jumbo jet on a long haul flight had their own Range-Rover to drive the same distance.

Anyway, I like driving, and I certainly wasn't being critical. . . . . it was just the idea that a 9 hour drive was kind of 'local' :)

edmund

Hi JCT

Im actually moving to Tucson this summer. After going to school in NY and working this year in Chicago it will certainly be a change of pace, though very much welcomed. Im especially looking forward to all the year-round outdoor activities - biking/golf/photography/etc... -- that you just cant do in NY or Chicago.

I was just there last week looking for a place to live. You can find a great deal these days, especially on foreclosed properties.

Depending on what field you are in, the U of A definitely has some great resources.

Also, there is an incredible photography center there that has all of Ansel Adam's original prints.
http://www.creativephotography.org/

In any case, it was this view last week that really got me excited for the drive down! (shot with iPhone)

JCT

LOL, Guy -- my iPhone often changes my name from Jil to "Jim" and if I'm not paying close attention I miss it. Have received some hilarious responses from colleagues over that.

My best guess is that we would end up buying something in the Foothills with a stellar view. We currently live in a 100-yr-old home and my Manhattanite husband (he lived in apartments all of his life until we bought our house) is convinced that every creak means the house is about to "break" -- so I've agreed to go with a more modern construction. Sticking to my guns regarding a Territorial or Burnt Adobe, though. I've been told that an outdoor bar is a must by several people -- kind of amusing.

What a coincidence, Edmund! Yikes, Chicago has been really cold this winter -- my oldest is in college there and visits have been frigid. Tucson will be a welcome change. Yes, we will likely do well with real estate as our current home's value has held and things are still low in Tucson. The folks recruiting me to U of A knew that I was an avid photographer and arranged for a private showing at the CCP when I was there -- I was blown away and the Ansel exhibit at the time was stellar.

I will have to make a decision in the next month or so -- a bit stressful!

JT

jlm

Workshop Member
Damn, now you have got me wanting to wander; your situation sounds pretty good: go for it!

get ready to start slowing down, dumping stress, enjoying the natural wild world around you within a few minutes drive. no more BQE, LIE, FDR, Bruckner, oh boy!

JCT

Damn, now you have got me wanting to wander; your situation sounds pretty good: go for it!

get ready to start slowing down, dumping stress, enjoying the natural wild world around you within a few minutes drive. no more BQE, LIE, FDR, Bruckner, oh boy!

I'm laughing-- a pothole on the Bruckner almost ate my car last week. This winter has destroyed the roads.

It is definitely a big change -- starting to sound nice to couple my high-stress job to a low stress lifestyle.

I'll let you guys know if we decide to go for it!

JCT

So, I promised to post back with a final decision.

After nearly a year-long negotiation, we are Tucson-bound.

Of course, NYC is having a spectacular summer such that can be tormented right up until the end, but opportunities like this arise rarely.

Now as soon as these ENDLESS college bills go away I can indulge myself with some workshops!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement all. Packing up all of this camera gear will be a real treat :rolleyes:

JT