The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need your help...

etrigan63

As some of you know (or not), I teach photography to middle school kids at a local (private) arts and music school here in Miami. Most of the kids have little point-and-shoots which is fine for the beginner classes, but as they progress they will need access to a DSLR (the school doesn't want them messing with film development). If anyone has an older DSLR they would like to donate to a worthy cause please contact me.

Since it is a private school the parents pay tuition (I know I do, both my kids go there) and they pay extra to attend my class. I don't want to burden their parents with purchasing a camera for their child and then the kid may lose interest.

The donated cameras would become part of a loaner pool for the kids to use. I am donating a starter light set (2 strobes, two umbrellas, stands, and an inexpensive radio trigger) for them to use (under my supervision).

Please contact me if you think you can help. Thanks for listening.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
why not something like a g2/gh2?
That covers most of the bases.
-bob

rga

Perhaps hold a fund raiser? Find local photographers to donate a piece of work for a silent auction, car washes by the kids, photo contest with some prizes but most entry fees going to buy new equip?

Let the kids come up with ideas.
Just a thought...

etrigan63

The school is doing a ton of fundraisers already much to the grumbling of the parents. I don't want to hit them up for more money. Maybe something on Kickstart?

rga

Create a Blurbbook each semester for parents to buy? MagCloud? Put on a show to sell photos at a local gallery (our gallery does that for one night a year for a private school and the gallery doesn't take a cut with proceeds going to the photo department).

Ask your students what they would like to do; set a goal. One DSLR kit per class. Do it all.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Need your help ...

My solution would probably be something like this:

Try to get an agreement with one (or more) of the DSLR manufacturers, Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Samsung, Sigma, Sony, about having a class set of 10-12 outdated entry level DSLRs, each with a kit lens, at a special and very fair (i.e. affordable) education price. Write all the companies. Maybe you can even have the entire set for free, since it's actually at their own long term advantage ;)

Otherwise let the students make some kind of arrangement or event to earn the money. Make that every year, because now and then a camera will need repair or replacement.
E.g. set up a tent where the students can offer captures and prints of portraits of children and pets, at a place crowded with children and pets, and with a sign telling about the education project they are financing :D

I've already donated my old DSLR to a new enthusiast, but I'm in for a pecuniary donation if at some point you need it, just let me know your PayPal mail address.

S

Shelby Lewis

Or... if you have a DSLR, you could donate it to Carlos.

etrigan63

Thanks guys. You have given me some good ideas. Steen's idea can work at the school picnic this november. We'll set up a tent and have pictures done there. I'll see about getting a printer for the event donated for the duration of the event. I can have the kids work the booth and drum up money for the program. RGA's idea for the blurb book might work out for the end of year. My advanced kids are building their own portfolios we can extend that to some blurb books.