The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Safest way to store camera/lenses?

JCT

Hi All,

In the serious planning stages for my move out west (NYC -> Tucson) and it looks like I have to move out before the rest of my family, I will be stuck in some small apt for 6 months and my better half has uh, suggested that I either take my film gear and (many) lenses with me or we have to store them because our current house needs to be pretty much empty to sell.

What he *actually* pointed out was that I might need an extra storage rental for my camera BAGS. Sigh. :rolleyes:

So my gear has to be stored from Jan - July in either NY or Tucson, probably Tucson so that I can get to it. Any suggestions on what to store it in to minimize dust/humidity issues or anything else? I've never had to really pack my stuff up -- I use it enough that it mostly lives in Domke bags, the TLRs and rangefinders are actually on display.

I'm kind of stumped -- should I invest in some Pelican boxes?

Any and all advice appreciated.

JT

JCT

Humidity? I wait to hear from Guy on this question.
Admittedly, I'm not worried about humidity in Tucson ;) -- but it's a constant worry in NY and there is a chance I will have to leave the gear behind. Shipping it will make me nervous as hell, I must admit.

JT

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well they do have storage places that have inside AC storage so humidity and heat are non issues and you can store your normal stuff as well. Actually U Haul stores in some areas have storage units. So that us a start as far as gear than the normal remove all batteries and such and I still think a Domke would be fine. My one question I have is store lenses on there side or up down. That may have a bearing on lube and such bit this is not very long term either so not sure if it really applies. But AC storage building units are something to look at and they have all sizes as well from big closet size to car sizes. AZ is actually big on storage units because of the snow birds here.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
AC = humidity.

A storage with dehumidifier is advised.

Regards
Anders
Actually in the South and Southwest in US AC will usually decrease the humidity significantly. Temperature without humidity is still an insidious threat to camera equipment.

I have kept cameras and lenses in garage during the summer that approaches 110F for years without problems but prefer to keep it all in AC when possible.

Packed in plastic with dessicant (dry non-dust type preferred) is an option.

As I live in Texas I have a AC storage rental that keeps all of my paperwork and family stuff....Christmas ornaments etc. Very effective and has onsite management to monitor temperatures and conditions.

Bob

R

richard.L

If you are shipping, then Peli or Storm, which Peli bought...
consider what your move into, out of, the storage looks like from the point of view of those around... Pelicans, exotic. Large, and small, plastic tubs, ice chests,etc bought from Wal*Mart holding some towels etc... less exotic, not of much value...

Large chemical containers ... brown jugs ... scales ... looks like :)

Richard. owner of Pelicans, old trade show bags, Wal*Mart tupperware and christmas wrapping paper ---and some brown jugs.

JCT

OK, great -- this really helps!

I would definitely prefer to have the gear close, so one of the temp-controlled storage places would fit the bill. I'll start looking.

Maybe go with some of the Rubbermaid Roughneck storage boxes to store the Domkes with the gear inside. And individually store the cameras/lenses in plastic with dessicant.

Looks like this will be a good excuse to catalog everything while I am at it...

AZ is actually big on storage units because of the snow birds here.
When I commented on the overall lack of storage in some of the homes I've been looking at, my real estate agent said that most people have their extra "stuff" in one of the storage places.

R

richard.L

or better, another reason to have cameras, computers & printers...

how else to document (or self referential) the stuff, then use aperture (or similar) to catalog, then you get to print all the things... storing them at a BANK VAULT... boy simple things grow fast ...

richard. sadly I solve the storage problem by buying different houses.